• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead recieving summons to appear.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raizack

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have recently recieved in the mail a court summons for my deceased mother to appear in court over a debt collector's suit. Mother lived in indiana where court date is supposed to take place. Will writing a letter informing them of her death and enclosing a copy of the death certificate be enough for them to stop it?

justalayman

Raizack said:

I have recently recieved in the mail a court summons for my deceased mother to appear in court over a debt collector's suit. Mother lived in indiana where court date is supposed to take place. Will writing a letter informing them of her death and enclosing a copy of the death certificate be enough for them to stop it?

It should but I think it would be more fun to tell them her current address and let them try to serve her there. It also gets the point across.

ENASNI

Raizack said:

If it is not enough to stop it, maybe next you can have them send a process server to her.

Raizack

justalayman Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizack

It should but I think it would be more fun to tell them her current address and let them try to serve her there. It also gets the point across.
You mean give them the plot number?

justalayman

Raizack said:
You mean give them the plot number?
Well cemetaries do have addresses and I would tend to let them think the plot number is something like an apartment number or such.

BTW; I do apologize if I seem insensative. I don't mean to be. My mom and my mom-in-law are both deceased so I do understand the emotions.
I realized that my mom would want me to enjoy life, so, to some, I come across as insensative sometimes.

Now if you don't want to be bothered, just send them a copy of the death cert. and be done with it.

BlondiePB

justalayman said:
Well cemetaries do have addresses and I would tend to let them think the plot number is something like an apartment number or such.

BTW; I do apologize if I seem insensative. I don't mean to be. My mom and my mom-in-law are both deceased so I do understand the emotions.
I realized that my mom would want me to enjoy life, so, to some, I come across as insensative sometimes.

Now if you don't want to be bothered, just send them a copy of the death cert. and be done with it.
I had a court visitor once go to check on a ward, as is required by law, and then call me asking what was the ward's current address. I told her XX Memorial Park. Had she checked the ward's file prior to the visit she would have found the death certificate. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">