• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright or idea? I'm unsure.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dpharrisplpf

I've recently drawn up a projectto initiate an On-Site Computer repair service for students at a local public university. I work part time there and have never signed any agreements to sign over any ideas. Well, I talked to my boss and told him my idea(dumb move). I also asked if I could head up the project, therefore I'd have a full time job and see my project through how I deemed necessary. Now he wants the project in writing and told me I could work on it making the same wages and no full time job would be created. If I were draw up the project and state that the University could not provide those services without my authorization, is that viable? Would that actually hold up in court if they provided those services anyway? Is there anyway I can prevent them from providing those services without my approval? What should be my course of action from here? Are there any intellectual property rights laws that I could refer to?

[Edited by dpharrisplpf on 12-11-2000 at 10:44 AM]

ALawyer

Ideas are a dime a dozen. And almost impossible to protect.
Implemenation is the hard part.

You could have asked for a non-disclosure agreement, and there is one on FreeAdvice.com under forms, but I doubt that anyone would have signed it. And employees are supposed to think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">