• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car Lot Repos Car After 10 Days, Keeps Deposit Cause We Lied About Employment!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrowner

What is the name of your state? California:) :) My boyfriend and I went to Long Beach and put a downpayment of $1000.00 down on a 1999 Toyota Camry and drove it home to Lompoc. My boyfriend gave the car lot fake paystubs to an employer he no longer is employed by. The dealership called after 4 or 5 days and asked if we would bring the car back down to Long Beach because it needed to be re-smogged. On the 10th night of us having the vehicle they came up to Lompoc and took the car. When we tried calling them to find out if they had the car or if it had been stolen they would not take our calls. All of my belongings were in the vehicle. I understand that my boyfriend lied, but they got the car back after 10 days and the contract is void, so why would they be able to keep our $1000.00 deposit? What he did was wrong, but do we still have any rights to getting some or all of our deposit back??:(

You Are Guilty

acrowner said:
What is the name of your state? California:) :) My boyfriend and I went to Long Beach and put a downpayment of $1000.00 down on a 1999 Toyota Camry and drove it home to Lompoc. My boyfriend gave the car lot fake paystubs to an employer he no longer is employed by. The dealership called after 4 or 5 days and asked if we would bring the car back down to Long Beach because it needed to be re-smogged. On the 10th night of us having the vehicle they came up to Lompoc and took the car. When we tried calling them to find out if they had the car or if it had been stolen they would not take our calls. All of my belongings were in the vehicle. I understand that my boyfriend lied, but they got the car back after 10 days and the contract is void, so why would they be able to keep our $1000.00 deposit? What he did was wrong, but do we still have any rights to getting some or all of our deposit back??:(
Oh IAAL, where are youuuuuuuuu?
I think we have our 2006 winner here!

Litigation!

You Are Guilty said:
Oh IAAL, where are youuuuuuuuu?
I think we have our 2006 winner here!

My response:

It's a good one, but this post is just missing that "certain something" to be considered a serious entrant to the "Most Stupid Post" contest. The posts I have now put this one to shame.

IAAL

You Are Guilty

Litigation! said:
My response:

It's a good one, but this post is just missing that "certain something" to be considered a serious entrant to the "Most Stupid Post" contest. The posts I have now put this one to shame.

IAAL
Good god, and it's only March 1.

racer72

$1000 sounds like a reasonable rental rate for someone that attempted to purchase a vehicle fraudulantly.

acrowner

I just wanted to know my legal standing. Sure, there was fraudulant information. They lied also when they told me to bring back the car so they could finalize smog issues. What ewre they going to do, leave me stranded in Long Beach, 2 and a half hours away from my home in Santa BArbara?
Should I persue this in small claims, or let it be...?;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
acrowner said:
I just wanted to know my legal standing. Sure, there was fraudulant information. They lied also when they told me to bring back the car so they could finalize smog issues. What ewre they going to do, leave me stranded in Long Beach, 2 and a half hours away from my home in Santa BArbara?
Should I persue this in small claims, or let it be...?;)
Let it be. I wish the HAD left you stranded. You knew you were committing fraud, and you wonder what THEY might have done?
Grow up

Zigner said:
Let it be. I wish the HAD left you stranded. You knew you were committing fraud, and you wonder what THEY might have done?
Grow up
:D

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,

Let it be, let it be, .....

acrowner

Wow, and they gave you a law degree? Dont you know that every person has tthe right to a fair trial. Is what they did legal? Thats all I wanted to know. Can a LAWYER give some advice on this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
acrowner said:
Wow, and they gave you a law degree? Dont you know that every person has tthe right to a fair trial. Is what they did legal? Thats all I wanted to know. Can a LAWYER give some advice on this.
Fine - sue them for the $1,000

What you want to know is how you can complete your fraud, and I don't think you should feel any sort of entitlement in that department.

Shay-Pari'e

acrowner said:
Did you know that the car dealership has the right to a fair contract? Is what your BF did legal?

You crack me up.

acrowner

Is it reimbursing to ask that a down payment be returned to me? The contract was void, thus all monies should be returned. No? Its not like he was gonna stiff them for the money. He was going to pay for it but never had the chance. We need the money for a car, now we dont have it

jimnyc

acrowner said:
Is it reimbursing to ask that a down payment be returned to me? The contract was void, thus all monies should be returned. No? Its not like he was gonna stiff them for the money. He was going to pay for it but never had the chance. We need the money for a car, now we dont have it
Maybe that should have been thought of before trying to scheme and illegally obtain the vehicle with fraudulent paystubs. I'm willing to bet you won't be getting a penny back and if you push the issue they will report you for fraud and claim your deposit is non-refundable based on fraudulent information and your refusal to return the vehicle 4 or 5 days earlier when they requested.

I'm not a lawyer but I would suspect faking financial information to get a loan and/or vehicle is likely illegal and you should be happy they aren't pushing for an investigation or charges.

You Are Guilty

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Unclean+hands

unclean hands n.
a legal doctrine which is a defense to a complaint, which states that a party who is asking for a judgment cannot have the help of the court if he/she has done anything unethical in relation to the subject of the lawsuit. Thus, if a defendant can show the plaintiff had "unclean hands," the plaintiff's complaint will be dismissed or the plaintiff will be denied judgment. Unclean hands is a common "affirmative defense" pleaded by defendants, which must be proved by the defendant.
Please be sure to post back after you sue them to let us know the results. (And yes, we'll be patient - we know there's no internet access in jail).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">