• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judge issued warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tanya2448

What is the name of your state? Indiana
The judge issued a warrant for not showing up to an order to appear. Does that warrant only take effect in the state it was originally issued or is it nationwide because the person lives in the state of Fl so I didnt know if there was something else I needed to do to go after this person for not paying a case I won.

dcatz

The warrant was a civil contempt warrant. It not only was limited to your state, unless you are particularly fortunate, it's not going to get out of your jurisdiction (financial limitations on sharing/maintaining such information state-wide). Moreover, it's likely to have a finite lifespan. In my state, it's 6 mos.

If you know there are assets in the other state, register your judgment in that state (search "domesticate judgment" on this forum). Enforce it there or, at the least, create liens that will affect real property for the life of the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">