• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce california

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aoke

My wife had filed for divorce in California, w'out my knowledge. I had left, taking my kid with me, still in the dark of her ulterior motives; to another state & invited her to join "us" if she wished. Not in touch w her for 15 yrs now. I asked my family to ask her re: divorce at 3 different times - & ea time she says "she went thru w the divorce". Howevr, she claims she has nvr known my whrabouts.
Now, are we divorced if I was nvr served papers?
If she a petitioner & I was unable to respond[respondent] & if she is legally divorced; am i also legally divorced?
I guess what I'm asking is whnevr thr is divorce isn't it always for both parties whether the 2nd party is aware or not? & if so can I remarry now?
Wht if I remarried on her word & after separated for 5 yrs [physically, nt legally] turns out she was lying, am I in very deep? I know thr are lot of Q's - howevr thy are quite technical in nature, & UR my only HOPE.Thx a bundle & a Merry X'mas to you, too.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

aoke said:
My wife had filed for divorce in California, w'out my knowledge. I had left, taking my kid with me, still in the dark of her ulterior motives; to another state & invited her to join "us" if she wished. Not in touch w her for 15 yrs now. I asked my family to ask her re: divorce at 3 different times - & ea time she says "she went thru w the divorce". Howevr, she claims she has nvr known my whrabouts.
Now, are we divorced if I was nvr served papers?
If she a petitioner & I was unable to respond[respondent] & if she is legally divorced; am i also legally divorced?
I guess what I'm asking is whnevr thr is divorce isn't it always for both parties whether the 2nd party is aware or not? & if so can I remarry now?
Wht if I remarried on her word & after separated for 5 yrs [physically, nt legally] turns out she was lying, am I in very deep? I know thr are lot of Q's - howevr thy are quite technical in nature, & UR my only HOPE.Thx a bundle & a Merry X'mas to you, too.
My response:

Thanks for all of the incomplete words. It may save you time, but I've got to take the time to figure out what you mean and hope I understand you in order to help you. Please use complete words.

If I understand you correctly, she could have filed without you. She could have had the Petition served on you via Publication in a newspaper of General Circulation. And, when you failed to see the legal publication in that newspaper, she then filed for a default and received a divorce.

However, that's only a guess. In order to make sure, you'll need to check with the courthouse nearest to where she lived at the time to see if there was ever a Petition filed. If you find it, you'll need to physically inspect the court file to determine whether there was a "Final Decree" of dissolution signed by the judge.

If there was, then you're divorced. If not, and you re-marry, you could be committing the crime and felony of Bigamy.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">