• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

girl totalled my car, need advice! plz

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lakers6902

What is the name of your state? California, southern california
First of all I am 17 years old with a licence, and the girl who totalled my car is 16 WITHOUT A LICENCE.

Hi everyone im new to these forums but please i need some help/advice. About a month ago i was at a friends house and was showing this girl how to drive my car, its manual and it was a 96 civic. Anyways i said she can drive down the street and back only and said ill be right back, i went inside to use the bathroom. She on the other hand, picked up her friend and took off in my car about a mile away to a local park. There was a big hill by the park and she decided to speed and went down the hill pretty fast (from what i heard from witnesses) and there was a sharp right turn ahead and thats the only way to go and im guessing she didnt know and tried turning going to fast and hit the curb about 65+ and lost control and then stopped in the dirt about 20 feet away from the curb. When i got to the crash site the front of the car was totalled, the driver side wheel was pushed in and the air bags deployed. My dad is a mechanic and looked at the car and told me that she bent the frame and it was fixable but would cost couple thousand dollars since i would have to re-bend the chassis. My car did get impounded and i was forced to sign over the car to the impound lot because it would cost 2,000 to get it out and i didnt have 2,000 at the time and my parents didnt either since we were going through a slight financial problem becuase of a death in the family. AFTER I asked for 3200 so i can buy another car but she and her mom REFUSED. I gave them a week to think about it or else I would have to file a lawsuit. She never agreed and i filed a lawsuit. So the MAIN QUESTION IS.... Can I win this case? Should i change up the story or keep like this the truth. Is there going to be diffulculty? Like is this going to be a tuff one? Also will i have to appear in court since i am a minor? Thank you for your guys' help! :)

lakers6902

yes my friend (the gilr that totalled my car) she is a minor. And yes my parents are filing on part of my behalf, my mom is the one mainly dealing with the issue for me

Shay-Pari'e

lakers6902 said:
yes my friend (the gilr that totalled my car) she is a minor. And yes my parents are filing on part of my behalf, my mom is the one mainly dealing with the issue for me
You need to sue her parents on her behalf also, and stick with the truth.

lakers6902

yea my mom is sueing her mom, but what you mean on her behalf? and also do you think this case is winnable, as in ill be able to win?

Happy Trails

lakers6902 said:
What is the name of your state? California, southern california
First of all I am 17 years old with a licence, and the girl who totalled my car is 16 WITHOUT A LICENCE.
:eek:

lakers6902 said:
Hi everyone im new to these forums but please i need some help/advice. About a month ago i was at a friends house and was showing this girl how to drive my car, its manual and it was a 96 civic. Anyways i said she can drive down the street and back only and said ill be right back, i went inside to use the bathroom.

You let her drive your car up and down the street, knowing she didn't have a license? Then you went to the bathroom, leaving her in possession of your car? Why did you do such a foolish thing?

lakers6902 said:
She on the other hand, picked up her friend and took off in my car about a mile away to a local park. There was a big hill by the park and she decided to speed and went down the hill pretty fast (from what i heard from witnesses) and there was a sharp right turn ahead and thats the only way to go and im guessing she didnt know and tried turning going to fast and hit the curb about 65+ and lost control and then stopped in the dirt about 20 feet away from the curb. When i got to the crash site the front of the car was totalled, the driver side wheel was pushed in and the air bags deployed. My dad is a mechanic and looked at the car and told me that she bent the frame and it was fixable but would cost couple thousand dollars since i would have to re-bend the chassis. My car did get impounded and i was forced to sign over the car to the impound lot because it would cost 2,000 to get it out and i didnt have 2,000 at the time and my parents didnt either since we were going through a slight financial problem becuase of a death in the family. AFTER I asked for 3200 so i can buy another car but she and her mom REFUSED. I gave them a week to think about it or else I would have to file a lawsuit. She never agreed and i filed a lawsuit. So the MAIN QUESTION IS.... Can I win this case?

As mentioned above, who knows. You certainly are not innocent in this escapade.

lakers6902 said:
Should i change up the story or keep like this the truth.

Why would you change the story? As mentioned above, you need to tell the truth.

lakers6902 said:
Is there going to be diffulculty?

The two of you girls will have to testify to what the truth is, and depending on what the judge believes, the judge will decide.

lakers6902 said:
Like is this going to be a tuff one?

IMO, yes, because I don't think you told your mother the whole truth and when it comes out in the court room it will make you look bad.

lakers6902 said:
Also will i have to appear in court since i am a minor?

Yes.

lakers6902 said:
Thank you for your guys' help! :)

lakers6902

ohh, yea i told my mom the whole truth. and i dont know why i did that i was stupid i learned not to let anyone drive my car anymore. and my mom went to several attorneys to get there opinions and some of them said i wont have to show up in court... is that false information?

lakers6902 said:
ohh, yea i told my mom the whole truth. and i dont know why i did that i was stupid i learned not to let anyone drive my car anymore. and my mom went to several attorneys to get there opinions and some of them said i wont have to show up in court... is that false information?
Why would you not show up? How would they get your side of the story? Anything that you have told your mother is hearsay & can't be admitted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">