• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sue Embezzler/Thief

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjbarr1

Rhode Island

Our house was burgarized in January. Several credit cards were taken and used. A woman was caught on tape using the credit cards, along with an accomplice. This was shown on the local news, and she turned herself in. She was arrested (and has a previous record for embezzlement). She will not give up the other guy, who police believe is the one who actual broke into our house.

Can I sue her for information about some of our stolen items...most importantly 2 social security cards?

Dandy Don

What is the value of the stolen items?

The social security cards are of no value to you now, so you need to be contacting the Social Security Administration yourself to get replacement cards and see what solutions they have for people that have been victimized by identity theft--whether you should get a new number or continue using the old ones.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

JETX

kjbarr1 said:
Can I sue her for information about some of our stolen items...most importantly 2 social security cards?
No, you cannot sue her for "INFORMATION".
And if you were to sue her for monetary damages, do you REALLY think that you would ever collect?? Of course not.
Work with the prosecutor to try to get restititution included in her sentencing (if found guilty).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">