• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto purchase deposit refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

refractoryman

WhaWhat is the name of your state? Ohio
About 3 weeks ago I went to look at a car and decided to buy it. I offered to give the owner a down payment, but he said I didn't need to give him one. We settled on a price of 8,400.00.
He called me the next day and informed me that it may take some time before I can get the car because he had to pay the loan off with a credit card and that it may take up to 3 weeks for get the title for me. I informed him that I didn't know if I can wait that long. He seemed to be quite confused in handeling this situation. He told me the name of the loan company that held the loan on the car. I called them and asked them some questions to find out how long I may have to wait for the title. They informed me that once an account was closed the customer would get the title in about 10 days. So I decided to wait.
A few days later he called (he lives out of town, about 90 miles away) and said that someone else looked at the car and are offering him a 2,000.00 deposit and that he was wrong by not taking a deposit from me. So I offered to send him $200.00, but he said that, that wasn't quite enough, so I mailed him a check for 500.00.
After waiting just over 2 weeks, my uncle had passed away and I am able to buy his car at a very low price, being that he is family. The next day the owner of the car that I was going to purchase called and said that the title had just arrived. I had waited just over 2 weeks. I told him that I had decided to buy my uncle's car instead. He will not return my 500.00 deposit!
I offered that he keeps 250.00 (half), but he still won't agree on it.
So, instead of loosing 500.00, I offered that I would still purchase this car, but could not pay for it until March 31st. He said that he has already advertised again and that if he sells it by March 31st he would return 350.00 of my deposit. If he doesn't sell it, I can still buy it but only with a cashiers check.
There was no contract signed. He now wants me to sign a contract stating that if he doesn't sell the car by March 31st, that I will buy it.
All I really want is my deposit back or at least half of it.
What can I do?https://forum.freeadvice.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=24t is the name of your state? Ohio

IAMSUED

Once you sent the car owner a "GOOD FAITH PAYMENT" deposit of $500.00. The verbal contract was made, even though he showed the car to another prospect. Up until he received the $500.00 the owner can show the car to who he wants to. You are the one who wants out of the purchase. He is honoring what was agreed upon. If he wants to keep the deposit it is his legal right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">