• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CT

Can someone give me a little more detail about the process of small claims court? How long does it usually take before you have to go to court? Do you have to go more than once? How long does it take before someone receives money from the judgement? Any other input?

Thanks!

racer72

Go to your nearest big box book retailer and find a book by Nolo Press on small claims court. All your questions will be answered plus a whole lot more.

JETX

andrea711ct said:
Can someone give me a little more detail about the process of small claims court?
Yes.

How long does it usually take before you have to go to court?
Depends on the courts backlog. Contact them and ask.

Do you have to go more than once?
Not if the case is heard and no appeal is filed.

How long does it take before someone receives money from the judgement?
Immediately in some cases. Never in others. Most are somwhere in between those two times.

Any other input?
Yep. Cindy Shehan is a traitor and an idiot. :D

Thank you! Another quick question: Am I supposed to try to settle things out of court first? (Recap from another post: My two week old car was hit by a young adult who was going at least 61MPH on a 25 and the insurance paid 100% of the value of the car, I am now losing my down payment and would like to go after the driver.) If I do, do I send them a certified letter explaining to the driver (or to his parents, he is 21) that I just purchased the car and if they don't settle within (I don't know what a reasonable timeframe is) then I will bring it to small claims court?

JETX

andrea711ct said:
Thank you! Another quick question: Am I supposed to try to settle things out of court first?
The filing of a lawsuit should be your LAST resort.

(Recap from another post: My two week old car was hit by a young adult who was going at least 61MPH on a 25 and the insurance paid 100% of the value of the car, I am now losing my down payment and would like to go after the driver.)
HUH??? If they paid you 100% of the value of the car... how can you go after MORE than that??? If you are trying to recover more than the value... you have no case.

My loan on the car was $13K, (warranty, insurance, tax etc. included in price), the value of the car based from their insurance company was $8,989, GAP Insurance covered the rest of the loan. I will not receive any money in return and it will all go to the loan, therefore, I lost my down payment of $1000.

JETX

andrea711ct said:
My loan on the car was $13K, (warranty, insurance, tax etc. included in price), the value of the car based from their insurance company was $8,989, GAP Insurance covered the rest of the loan. I will not receive any money in return and it will all go to the loan, therefore, I lost my down payment of $1000.
You didn't 'lose' anything. The problem you had was you were upside down on your purchase. The other driver has NO liability for that. You have no case or claim for the 'deal' that YOU made when purchasing the vehicle.
If you just purchased it, you clearly paid too much (over FMV - Fair Market Value).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">