• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stefstew

What is the name of your state? IL

I entered a verbal contract with a dog breeder. The agreement took place when the breeder was living in a house, was employed, and had a kennel for the dog. The agreement was that he would give us a female dog to "foster" until she was ready to breed. When she was ready to deliver she would stay with him for 5 weeks. Once she was bred once or twice he would pay to spay her and she would officially be ours. Her county license if registered to me. Since the time we agreed on this contract the breeder moved into an apartment with no room to whelp puppies, or have dogs, has been evicted and arrested for posession of a weapon. I've found out he has a felony charge in his past amongst other charges. He is now unemployed and has no place to live.

I think my concerns about letting him take my dog for 5 weeks are warranted. Is there a breach of contract on his part and what would my chances be in court of fighting him on this if it came to that. I'm mostly worried for the safety of my dog. He had a dog at home with one month old puppies when he was arrested. I can only guess where they are now.

You didn't really ask a question, but I get the Jist

stefstew said:
What is the name of your state? IL

I entered a verbal contract with a dog breeder. The agreement took place when the breeder was living in a house, was employed, and had a kennel for the dog. The agreement was that he would give us a female dog to "foster" until she was ready to breed. When she was ready to deliver she would stay with him for 5 weeks. Once she was bred once or twice he would pay to spay her and she would officially be ours. Her county license if registered to me. Since the time we agreed on this contract the breeder moved into an apartment with no room to whelp puppies, or have dogs, has been evicted and arrested for posession of a weapon. I've found out he has a felony charge in his past amongst other charges. He is now unemployed and has no place to live.

I think my concerns about letting him take my dog for 5 weeks are warranted. Is there a breach of contract on his part and what would my chances be in court of fighting him on this if it came to that. I'm mostly worried for the safety of my dog. He had a dog at home with one month old puppies when he was arrested. I can only guess where they are now.

What Contract?

dcatz

Is this a hypothetical? If so, wait until it becomes real.

The guy is unemployed and homeless. Is he really asking for your dog? I can't believe that he is but, if so, just tell him no.

If he tries to "enforce" what you believe is a "contract", tell the judge that the verbal agreement was verbally rescinded because of impossibility of performance. Or just deny its existence. Under the circumstances, most people will find it too ludicrous to believe.

dcatz said:
Is this a hypothetical? If so, wait until it becomes real.

The guy is unemployed and homeless. Is he really asking for your dog? I can't believe that he is but, if so, just tell him no.

If he tries to "enforce" what you believe is a "contract", tell the judge that the verbal agreement was verbally rescinded because of impossibility of performance. Or just deny its existence. Under the circumstances, most people will find it too ludicrous to believe.

Exactly... "What contract?" Try it with fluttering eyelashes. :D

stefstew

This situation is hypothetical at this point. I was just wondering how binding verbal contracts are and if a drastic change in circumstance from the time the agreement was made would be enough to get up out of the agreement if it went to court. I wouldn't feel comfortable lying in court but I do want to protect my dog.

dcatz

Don't lie. It will only cease to be a hypothetical when/if he asks. Then tell him no for the reasons stated.

Particularly if there is no collateral evidence, such as part performance or documentary evidence of mutual intent, a verbal contract is just as valid as you can persuade the judge that you both agree it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">