• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

terie

My husband worked at a job for over 7 years, he quit on 12-11-00 and he was already approved to take his vacation from 12-16 thru 1-3-01. My question is does the law state that he is still due is vacation pay? They said that if he worked one more week they would "think" about giving it to him ,but he already has a job lined up ,so they said that they are not giving it to him, even though he worked a full year minus 2 weeks. We live in Wisconsin.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. WHat I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Paid time off
In states where accrued time off is the same as money earned, it’s unlawful for employers to refuse to pay terminated employees for unused vacation or sick time. In some states, time off for sickness and vacation is a fringe benefit and is not paid. An employer may sidestep legal pitfalls by implementing a clear policy that specifies whether sick time and vacation hours are earned, how they’re accumulated, and whether they can be forfeited. The policy should answer the following questions. Are vacation and sick time accumulated in stages or earned at once? Can unused time roll over to the next term or year? Under what circumstances can time be lost? And are there certain times when employees can and can’t take vacation or sick time? By setting parameters, companies can plug legal loopholes and ensure that their employees know their rights and responsibilities. For more information, contact your state labor department.
Copyright © IT Network 1999

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">