• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute w/attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amybelle

What is the name of your state? CA

My partner was arrested the Friday before Thanksgiving. The bail was set too high for me to post immediately, but I knew, based on the charges, that it would likely be lowered at the arraignment. The holiday break was approaching. A friend put me in touch with an attorney she knew by telephone. He told me that if I let a public defender take the case that my partner would probably not be arraigned until after the holiday weekend, but that if I were to hire him, he would be able to "push things along" faster. We agreed upon a fee, and he accepted the case. We met and I payed him the following morning. There was no paperwork of any kind exchanged or signed between he and I. He seemed disorganized and unprofessional, but since he was referred by a friend I gave him the benefit of the doubt. His performance in the courthouse was unimpressive at best, but the bail was lowered just enough for me to post bail. Incedentally, I'm a union member, so I would have received the same discount from the bail bondsman with or without a private attorney.
To make this long story shorter, I later discovered that this attorney was severely in debt, has a drug problem, and was allegedly supposed to "turn himself in" for a case he himself was involved in shortly before my partner's pre-trial hearing. When I tried to contact him his cell phone was disconnected, so we didn't expect to see him at pre-trial. He showed up there demanding an additional thousand dollars to which I refused. We ended up turning the case over to a public defender, and pre-trial was postponed another month and a half. Is the money I paid him lost?What is the name of your state?

stephenk

no matter what you think of his performance he did do what you paid him to do - he got the bail reduced.

amybelle

But he didn't finish the case. What I paid him for was to represent my partner for the entire case. This is what he agreed to do. His claim was that I owed him money from before, and that he would not represent my partner in the pre-trial unless I paid it. Since there was nothing signed, it is now his word against mine. I guess that answers my question since a lawyer, drug addicted con-artist or not, wins over a regular joe-schmoe like me, when it comes down to words, right? I guess he can't come after me for money he claims I owe him since there was nothing signed, and I can't come after him for money he took. Duh ... of course, attorneys are the ultimate con artists after all.
Could I do anything to prevent this from happening to anyone else? Maybe a letter to the Bar, or some other organization?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">