• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collecting on a judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bandittheman

What is the name of your state? Minesota I have 2 judgments against my exgirlfriend of 5 years ago the first one was in north dakota where she was living at the time and she went defaut on that one a year later she take me to court for house keeping and lost that judgment to me in MN I was garishing wages when she lived in ND now she live in PA and I have not seen a dime I have filed the ND judgment in PA what I like to do is bring her back to court and have her tell me and the judge why she not paying the judgments off but what steps do I need to take to do this

Last edited:

dcatz

At the moment, you can only bring her into court in PA, so it's good that you've domesticated your judgment there.

Check with the Court for the forms you'll need. You want to conduct what's commonly called an asset exam or a judgment debtor exam, and they're very common (although often not very effective, because of limited penalties is she ignores the Order to Appear or appears and lies and you can't prove to the contrary).

In any event, you'll pay a fee for the Order, and it will have to be served. Depending on PA law, service might be by mail or you may have to pay the Sheriff/Marshal or a process server to serve her personally. The Court can tell you that as well.

bandittheman

after I do this step then what I like to have her in court soon so this don't drag out any longer its been seence july of 2001 I had the ND judgment against her and with interst its over 5500 rite now and can I add all exspences on the same judgment for me bring her back in for milage, court fees and my meals + motel room if i need one,

dcatz

Court fees for domesticating and for the cost of any Order for Appearance, costs of serving her and any accrued interest can be added. The rest - no.

bandittheman

I contacted the clerk of court ouit in PA today and they said they never heardf of a judgment debthor exam or a esset exam this making a little up set
or is there better place to contact about getting this form

bandittheman

another thing i like to know is the judgments are from ND,MN do the rules of the judgments from the state where they come from over rule the rules in PA

dcatz

In reverse order: the rules of PA apply to enforcing a judgment domesticated in PA, regardless of where it originated.

There are many names for the mechanisms used in various jurisdictions to acquire asset information post-judgment. I gave you the two that I think are the most common, but other states attach a "Subpoena for Production" (of data and documents) to the notice of judgment sent to the defendant. I can't immediately tell you what the mechanism is in PA and court employees can't "assist" you. But they can "point you in the right direction" and let you do it yourself. Ask what procedure(s) the Court offers to acquire asset information post-judgment.

bandittheman

I call the courts back and all they say is check the law library so I went to my court house here and checked it out all the law books are for this area nothing about pa laws how do I check on law in pa is there a place here on the internet that I can find them then I called the lawinforcement out there and asked them what way i should go they gave me me more imfo and they said that I need to start what they call a Writ of excution how do i do this

dcatz

OP -
"Enforcement of judgment" is a very large subject, when you're not posing a specific problem, but all of the information that you need is available to you. It's all online and much is available by doing a "search" in these forums.

Like the courts themselves, we can point you in the right direction, but it's up to you to do some of your homework yourself. If you haven't gone to a library large enough to have "Pennsylvania statutes", research them online. Check "civil judgments", check "exemptions". If you find that you can't download a blank form online, send a SASE to the PA court, together with a letter asking them to send you a blank "writ of execution". It will probably cost less than a quarter. Fill it out and file it, along with a filing fee. Give it to a PA sheriff/marshal, along with instructions and the appropriate service fee.

If all of this sounds too tedious, hire a professional in PA and let them do it. Or sell your judgment and let it be another's worry.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">