• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defauted loan, cosigner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JuicyJ

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, I have a problem with a "friend" whom I have cosigned for. Several years ago I cosigned for his student loan (Big Mistake) and now I find out that he has been defaulting on the payments and had filed for bankruptcy. There is no way that I will be able to afford to pay the debt. If I file for bankruptcy, can I take him to small claims court? Thanks.

seniorjudge

JuicyJ said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, I have a problem with a "friend" whom I have cosigned for. Several years ago I cosigned for his student loan (Big Mistake) and now I find out that he has been defaulting on the payments and had filed for bankruptcy. There is no way that I will be able to afford to pay the debt. If I file for bankruptcy, can I take him to small claims court? Thanks.
Student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Whether that applies to co-signers, I don't know.

But, if the debt will be discharged in bankruptcy, then why would you sue the other person in small claims court? What would you ask for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">