• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing Sheriff Dept.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dadalone

What is the name of your state? New York. My wife walked out on me and our children to be with another woman. Next day she filed in court that I threw her out and threaten her with a rifle to stay [contradicting or what]. Judge issued an order of protection against me and ordered that I turn in to the Puplic Safty Bldg. any rifle or shotgun I owned by 5 pm that day. Sheriff's Deputies came to my house to serve Court Order, locked me in a car, entered my house, searched it and took all rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader, bb gun, hunting knife, cap gun, toy gun, ammo and numerous other items. Left with them and then handed me the Court Order. My wife later retracted the statment and the order was dropped and issued a new order that Sheriff may return any rifle or shotgun they have to me. Sherrif Dept refuses to return anything and say they are going to destroy them as a nuisance. Value of items is around $14000. Several items are part of an estate to which I was the executor of and others belonged to my sons. Can I sue and why are lawyers afraid of the Sheriff Dept ?

Last edited:

JETX

Dadalone said:
Can I sue and why are lawyers afraid of the Sheriff Dept ?
Of course you can sue. Almost anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything.l
However, the officers are have immunity as their actions were done under the authority of their uniform. I suggest you contact a local attorney who can intervene and try to get a return of the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">