• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisaq

I was a waitstaff manager until 2 days ago. My general managers fiance was at one time a waitstaff manager, but is now a server. I started as a part-time server and was promoted to manager 6 months ago. Two weeks ago my manager asked me to hire his daughter as server. She had worked there in the past as a busser and a hostess. I hired and trained her as a server. She came in to work an hour late during her second week of work. I told her when she walked in the door that she was an hour late and I needed her on the floor. I was called into the office 2 days later and was told that it was "OK" for me to be a "bitch" but I took it a step to far. I was also told that the other servers were calling his fiance and complaining about me. He would not tell me about the specifice complaints when I asked. My thought on that is that I can not improve my skills if I do not know what I have done wrong. In the past if the servers complained to me I would take them into the office and talk to them until we come to a resolution.
I decided to step down as waistaff manager because I felt I was in a very difficult and awkward situation being the boss of my managers fiance and daughter. Several nights after I gave my two weeks notice as manager ( I was staying on a a 30 hour a week server to keep my health benefits) my manager and his fiance came in. They had been drinking and continued to drink in the restaurant. The fiance blew up and started yelling at me in front of my coworkers. She screemed a t the top of her lungs while slamming her fist on the table. I could not get a word in to defend myself. When I looked at my manager he was just sitting there looking at her. When she ran to the bathroom crying my manager turned to me and started to yell at me about why she was so upset. He told me I "should have kept my mouth shut" and never mentioned his daughters and fiance's name to the owner when I stepped down as manager.
I guess he got in trouble for the situation. That was not my intention nor my fault. The next morning I went into work and asked my manager if we could talk about what happened. In a very nasty tone he looked at me and said "no, we will not talk about this any more. Just drop it!" I tried a few more times to talk to him and he said the same thing to me. I was very upset and very uncomfortable about what had happened. I did not feel that I could continue to work for him under those hostile conditions.
My question is should I do somthing about this legally so it does not happen to someone else? And secondly, can I collect unemployment compensation for the loss of my job? I made good money and had planned on staying for a while to gain managment experience and save money to go back to school.

ALawyer

You probably will get unemployment even if they protest.

As for suing them, I have my doubts as the facts are really very unique and personal rather than a pattern of illegal discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">