• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defending copyright without $$$

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slwsov

My copyright has clearly been infringed but I do not have the money to hire an attorney now--and may not before the statute of limitations expires. What options do I have? What should I do?

ALawyer

There are 4 possible choices, asuming you have a Federally registered copyright or are prepared to obtain one on an expeditied basis --

1. forget about it.

2. put together iron clad proof of the violation and proof of the likely recoverable damages (such as the amount the violator has made from your copyrighted material) and use that to convince an attorney to handle it on a contingenmcy basis (they usually do not, but if the potential revovery is huge, they might).

3. beg, borrow or hock other assets top hire an attorney.

4. file a court complaint yourself (called Pro Se) and hope you have enough money and time to handle it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">