• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

misuse of right of way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashenash

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Our neighbor has a deeded right of way (a driveway) across our property which reads "together with theright to the use of a 10 foot right of wayfor residential purposes only (but not to be used with respect to the development of a Trailer court or Camping area), as now located, extending along the eastern line of the remaining property of Grantor, to the public road Hiway #xxx

This deed is dated 1968 and the right of way has never been used,in fact big trees have grown up there. It has been a constant nuisance with motorcylcles, horses and foot traffic. Now the neighbor is starting to use this to get his 4-wheeler from his campground to the adjacent triler park to do tree work. When I challenged this he threatened to bring his backhoe thru (which would require destroying many of my old trees) and also threatened to beat me up.

Questions
1. Can I blockade this driveway until it is decided in court, or better yet get a court order to stop use ?
2. The phrase "as now located " seems to me to indicate the use is restricted only to residences in exsistence in 1968. Am I correct ? CAn this right of way be revoked for residences built after 1968 ?
3. How can my trees be protected against this blatant threat of misuse ?

We have been to a lawyer , who said "wait and see" I prefer to take action. I would value any expertise or opinion offered here.

Thanks
Bert
What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">