• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for clean up costs/tree trimming?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twikki

What is the name of your state? California

I have 2 issues with one of the neighbors.

The first one is their cinder block wall. Their back yard shares a property line with my back yard. They recently put up a cinder block wall. While it was being put up the guy doing it dripped mortar all over my chain link fence. I feel that since the person being paid to put it up made the mess, either he or the people paying him are responsible for cleaning up the mess they made of my fence. Whose responsibility is it really?? If it is really theirs how do I get them to clean up their mess??

The second issues is their tree. This tree is along the same property line. The branches hang over a good half of my yard. I've got a good foot of stuff off this tree on the top of my shed, as well and stuff all over my driveway.
They refuse to help clean up the mess or trim the tree. What are my options here??

PghREA

twikki said:
What is the name of your state? California

I have 2 issues with one of the neighbors.

The first one is their cinder block wall. Their back yard shares a property line with my back yard. They recently put up a cinder block wall. While it was being put up the guy doing it dripped mortar all over my chain link fence. I feel that since the person being paid to put it up made the mess, either he or the people paying him are responsible for cleaning up the mess they made of my fence. Whose responsibility is it really?? If it is really theirs how do I get them to clean up their mess??

The company slopping the mortar around is responsible for cleaning it up.

The second issues is their tree. This tree is along the same property line. The branches hang over a good half of my yard. I've got a good foot of stuff off this tree on the top of my shed, as well and stuff all over my driveway.
They refuse to help clean up the mess or trim the tree. What are my options here??
Anything that falls on your side of the property line from your neighbor's tree is yours. You can trim the branches that hang over on your side (however, it is not a good idea to do anything that would kill your neighbor's tree.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">