• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

decipher virginia law code?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allalone

I received a summons for emergency removal of my kids at the bottom it states:
The alleged factual circumstances necessitating the removal of this child are:
"The above Department of Social Services request emergency removal of the above child who has allegedly been abused or neglected, to-wit: per attached affidavit, as provided by Section 16.1-251 of the 1950 Code of Virginia as amended."

What does that code mean?
thank you. Court is in a few days, please hurry.

LegalBeagle

allalone said:
I received a summons for emergency removal of my kids at the bottom it states:
The alleged factual circumstances necessitating the removal of this child are:
"The above Department of Social Services request emergency removal of the above child who has allegedly been abused or neglected, to-wit: per attached affidavit, as provided by Section 16.1-251 of the 1950 Code of Virginia as amended."

What does that code mean?
thank you. Court is in a few days, please hurry.
It means someone has signed an affidavit claiming you have abused or neglected your children and based on that evidence SS are asking a court to take that child away from you now.. probably pending further investigation.

What does the attached affidavit say ?

§ 16.1-251. Emergency removal order.

A. A child may be taken into immediate custody and placed in shelter care pursuant to an emergency removal order in cases in which the child is alleged to have been abused or neglected. Such order may be issued ex parte by the court upon a petition supported by an affidavit or by sworn testimony in person before the judge or intake officer which establishes that:

1. The child would be subjected to an imminent threat to life or health to the extent that severe or irremediable injury would be likely to result if the child were returned to or left in the custody of his parents, guardian, legal custodian or other person standing in loco parentis pending a final hearing on the petition.

2. Reasonable efforts have been made to prevent removal of the child from his home and there are no alternatives less drastic than removal of the child from his home which could reasonably protect the child's life or health pending a final hearing on the petition. The alternatives less drastic than removal may include but not be limited to the provision of medical, educational, psychiatric, psychological, homemaking or other similar services to the child or family or the issuance of a preliminary protective order pursuant to § 16.1-253.

When a child is removed from his home and there is no reasonable opportunity to provide preventive services, reasonable efforts to prevent removal shall be deemed to have been made.

B. Whenever a child is taken into immediate custody pursuant to an emergency removal order, a hearing shall be held in accordance with § 16.1-252 as soon as practicable, but in no event later than five business days after the removal of the child.

C. In the emergency removal order the court shall give consideration to temporary placement of the child with a relative or other interested individual, including grandparents, under the supervision of the local department of social services, until such time as the hearing in accordance with § 16.1-252 is held.

D. The local department of social services having legal custody of a child as defined in § 16.1-228 (i) shall not be required to comply with the requirements of this section in order to redetermine where and with whom the child shall live, notwithstanding that the child had been placed with a natural parent.

A

allalone

i don't see an attached affidavit..... all i see it says is :
It appearing that the above named child is within the purview of the Juvenile and domestic relations district court law and is alleged to be abused and neglected in a petition supported by: the appropriate sworn testimony, and it further appearing to the court under the circumstances existing at this time that: reasonable efforts have been made to prevent removal of the child from his or her home

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">