• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It's not the insurance company this time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wordsmith

What is the name of your state? Indiana

On 12/31/02, I had minor outpatient surgery at the local hospital. When the bill came, it showed that I was a self-pay patient. In fact, I was covered by health insurance, which had covered other visits to the same hospital in the weeks prior to the surgery. Nothing about my coverage had changed, but the hospital recategorized me as self-pay. Therefore, the hospital did not file the bill with the insurance company.

Now the hospital is suing me for the unpaid bill. It is actually a collection agency that is bringing suit, and the cause is in the name of the collection agency. The suit is in small claims court.

I intend to dispute the claim, of course. Suggestions?

Gene Redding
Edinburgh, IndianaWhat is the name of your state?

averad

Is the provider contracted with your insurance carrier? If they are and your policy has a timely filing limit the provider would have to write off the difference (in most cases). If the provider is not contracted or if you signed paperwork that stated you would be responsible for anything your insurance rejects you are proibly stuck oweing the debt.

This is a perfect example that people need to follow up on medical bills and make sure they are paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">