• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property borders Gov't land issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melody101

What is the name of your state? CA Our property borders land owned by the Federal Bureau of Reclaimation on a waterway flood zone slough. There is a space of about 10 feet between our fence and the bank which falls away to the waterway all along our 2 acres. Our landscaping/privacy bushes/trees extend slightly over our fenceline. People around the area have begun using the space to take shortcuts and are breaking our branches and cutting the branches off of our trees. We asked them to stop and now they are claiming they have the right to do so because it is federal land even though the branches do not impede their progress.

Do people have the right to destroy the branches of my trees and bushes?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Melody101 said:
What is the name of your state? CA Our property borders land owned by the Federal Bureau of Reclaimation on a waterway flood zone slough. There is a space of about 10 feet between our fence and the bank which falls away to the waterway all along our 2 acres. Our landscaping/privacy bushes/trees extend slightly over our fenceline. People around the area have begun using the space to take shortcuts and are breaking our branches and cutting the branches off of our trees. We asked them to stop and now they are claiming they have the right to do so because it is federal land even though the branches do not impede their progress.

Do people have the right to destroy the branches of my trees and bushes?

**A: yes, since you have no jurisdiction on federal lands.

Melody101

Thank you for your reply. I would not have thought that just anyone could come by my yard fence and rip the branches off of my roses and my beautiful azaleas and rhododendrons just because they are standing on Federal land when they destroy my property. :confused: What a shame, but thank you for the information. :)

HomeGuru

Melody101 said:
Thank you for your reply. I would not have thought that just anyone could come by my yard fence and rip the branches off of my roses and my beautiful azaleas and rhododendrons just because they are standing on Federal land when they destroy my property. :confused: What a shame, but thank you for the information. :)

**A: if the plants are on federal property then it is not your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">