• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce maybe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lostinny

I'm new here,so here's my problem:my wife decides she's not happy after 7 months of marriage.I don't want to pursue anything yet but I want to cover my self.Ok,she moved out of our apt. and took what she wanted without discussing what she was taking.Now here's my question we just renewed our lease( both signatures are on it)am I entitled to half the rent from her till she does something legal? I am from New York

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lostinny said:
I'm new here,so here's my problem:my wife decides she's not happy after 7 months of marriage.I don't want to pursue anything yet but I want to cover my self.Ok,she moved out of our apt. and took what she wanted without discussing what she was taking.Now here's my question we just renewed our lease( both signatures are on it)am I entitled to half the rent from her till she does something legal? I am from New York
My response:

Sure you are.

But, can you tell me how you're going to get it from her?

Remember, she's not going to look at this through "legal" eyes or care that her name is on the lease. That's not how scorned women look at life or reality. The "reality" is that you're the idiot, and it's all your fault - - am I right, or what?

She'll be looking you straight in the face and say,

"Hey, Goomba? Who's da one livin' there - - you, or me?"

IAAL

LegalBeagle

lostinny said:
Have you changed the locks to the apt ? Closed all joint accounts and cancelled any joint credit cards ??? Are the cars in joint names ??

You have other things to worry about than who is going to pay your rent..

L

lostinny

answers

HERE's my answers to your questions. She left me and says it's her fault not mine.If any one should be scorned it's me.I don't want the money per say I just want what I have in the apt. to stay here.But if thats not possible I will need the money to replace them.No I didn't change the locks but she returned her set of keys.Cars are in seperate names.Joint checking still open because she still deposits money for certain bills.I drew up apiece of paper that we both signed stating she pay me for her healthcare,car insurance(her half),and are joint loan(her half).The first two items will be deleted at the resign up dates in the first part of the new year.The loan will have to wait until something legal happens.Also she has not missed a payment yet and it's been 3 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">