• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-ex credit for long term disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cuhvar

I live in Texas. I have had group long term disability coverage through my employer with one insurance carrier for the last eleven years. In January of this year the employer changed the insurance carrier and now I am being told there is a twelve month waiting period for any pre-existing condition since this coverage just became effective, and that there is not any pre-existing credit. Is this correct?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is if those are the terms of the policy. The law neither requires nor prohibits such a waiting period.

Betty

Generally, ins. companies can establish their own criteria re pre-existing conditions. They are not legally required to cover pre-existing conditions without a waiting period if their policy provisions say there is a 1 yr. wait for such conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">