• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Puppy problem!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RescueDogs

We're in California.

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

A couple adopted a puppy from us in early December (we're a dog rescue, filed for non-profit status only this month and it's not completed yet).

The mom was a purebred german shepherd and she was pregnant when we took her in, she was in a really bad situation. We let her have the pups, and adopted them out. All of the puppies looked like german shepherds when they were 8 weeks old. Contracts were signed on every adoption, some of the content goes like this:

"The dam of your puppy is a purebred German Shepherd Dog. The sire is believed to be the black/tan German Shepherd Dog that she was housed with at the time of her rescue.....We make no guarantees to the adult size, temperment, color, or health of your puppy when it reaches maturity. ...We guarantee against parvo, lepto, etc etc.." (contagious stuff, basically).

When they picked up the puppy, they received a sheet containing info on shots, feeding, etc, and the other was the contract that they signed on the pup. I took the contract home and was suppose to make a copy of it and mail it to them...but life got hectic and I forgot.:eek: Still have the contract they signed though.

Anyway, they "love the dog" but they want a refund because he is not looking purebred enough - although they were not guaranteed a purebred pup, they feel like they got ripped off. I tried to be nice and offer them 1/2 of the adoption fee back. That was agreed upon but then the guy changed his mind and wants the whole amount. And he wants to keep the dog. He is now threatening to take me to small claims court.

Questions -

1. If I send him any money back and he accepts it, does he still have a right to sue me?
2. Should I send him a refund at all??
3. If he pays cash, doesn't have a receipt or contract, what leg does he have to stand on to sue me??

Please tell me what to do...I don't want any glitches on my good reputation as a rescuer because of this jerk. My husband is furious and doesn't want me to send the guy a dime. But I just want to make everyone happy and don't like the drama :(

rmet4nzkx

RescueDogs said:
We're in California.

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

A couple adopted a puppy from us in early December (we're a dog rescue, filed for non-profit status only this month and it's not completed yet).

The mom was a purebred german shepherd and she was pregnant when we took her in, she was in a really bad situation. We let her have the pups, and adopted them out. All of the puppies looked like german shepherds when they were 8 weeks old. Contracts were signed on every adoption, some of the content goes like this:

"The dam of your puppy is a purebred German Shepherd Dog. The sire is believed to be the black/tan German Shepherd Dog that she was housed with at the time of her rescue.....We make no guarantees to the adult size, temperment, color, or health of your puppy when it reaches maturity. ...We guarantee against parvo, lepto, etc etc.." (contagious stuff, basically).

When they picked up the puppy, they received a sheet containing info on shots, feeding, etc, and the other was the contract that they signed on the pup. I took the contract home and was suppose to make a copy of it and mail it to them...but life got hectic and I forgot.:eek: Still have the contract they signed though.

Anyway, they "love the dog" but they want a refund because he is not looking purebred enough - although they were not guaranteed a purebred pup, they feel like they got ripped off. I tried to be nice and offer them 1/2 of the adoption fee back. That was agreed upon but then the guy changed his mind and wants the whole amount. And he wants to keep the dog. He is now threatening to take me to small claims court.

Questions -

1. If I send him any money back and he accepts it, does he still have a right to sue me?
2. Should I send him a refund at all??
3. If he pays cash, doesn't have a receipt or contract, what leg does he have to stand on to sue me??

Please tell me what to do...I don't want any glitches on my good reputation as a rescuer because of this jerk. My husband is furious and doesn't want me to send the guy a dime. But I just want to make everyone happy and don't like the drama :(
You better check, I believe that you cannot sell these puppies, they are adopted and the fees are donaitons and thus not refundable, especially if they keep the dog. A few years ago we adopted a Chow from the local humane society, paid the adoption fee, the required vet fee and nutering fee and the required micro chip fee, only to get the dog home and find out he was vicious around other dogs and went straight for the throat of our 120 lb Rott! They took him back but forfited all our fees. Send the people the contract to remind them of the contract they signed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">