• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lemon Law for a Home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Matikas

What is the name of your state? Texas

We moved into our newly constructed 2-story house in March 2005. Our house faces the east and our master bedroom is on the second floor front right of the house. The problem is when the wind is blowing from the south the wall facing the south, in the master bedroom, starts to make a sort of knocking/clanking noise. We_ve called the home builders 9 times to come out and fix this and as of today the noise is still there. I mean they tore down the dry wall in our master room, took brick off from the outside, last week they took dry wall off in the garage where the noise is the loudest, but they still have fixed the noise. Last night the wind was blowing heavily from the south and I hardly slept due to the noise.

My wife and I are at the very end of our patience about this. What should or can we do about this? Is there a lemon law for houses where if they come out more then 3 or 4 times and fail to fix the problem they buy back the house or something?

Thanks,
Matikas

S

shell007

Matikas said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

We moved into our newly constructed 2-story house in March 2005. Our house faces the east and our master bedroom is on the second floor front right of the house. The problem is when the wind is blowing from the south the wall facing the south, in the master bedroom, starts to make a sort of knocking/clanking noise. We_ve called the home builders 9 times to come out and fix this and as of today the noise is still there. I mean they tore down the dry wall in our master room, took brick off from the outside, last week they took dry wall off in the garage where the noise is the loudest, but they still have fixed the noise. Last night the wind was blowing heavily from the south and I hardly slept due to the noise.

My wife and I are at the very end of our patience about this. What should or can we do about this? Is there a lemon law for houses where if they come out more then 3 or 4 times and fail to fix the problem they buy back the house or something?

Thanks,
Matikas
Don't know about the "lemon law", but have you checked the gutters and downspouts? I know it sounds silly, but we had a loose gutter that rattled all night long and kept us awake. WE only found this one night, after going outside during a wind/rain storm at 2:00 am, and found ourselves OUTSIDE... soaking wet going "OOOOOHHH is the stupid gutter".

Just prior to this epiphany....WE THOUGHT WE HAD A GHOST!!:eek: :eek:

Matikas

shellandty said:
Don't know about the "lemon law", but have you checked the gutters and downspouts? I know it sounds silly, but we had a loose gutter that rattled all night long and kept us awake. WE only found this one night, after going outside during a wind/rain storm at 2:00 am, and found ourselves OUTSIDE... soaking wet going "OOOOOHHH is the stupid gutter".

Just prior to this epiphany....WE THOUGHT WE HAD A GHOST!!:eek: :eek:
We didn't install gutters until October 2005, the noise was there before the gutters, and yes we walked outside and saw nothing on the wall that could possibly make the noise. It's inside the wall, it's possibly some loose thermal ply, but the only way I think they will find it is to take that entire wall apart dry wall and the brick. That would be the last resort and I hope it will not come to that.

Buk1000

Matikas, no there is no lemon law for houses, (that I know of), and in fact the laws in TX are very much in favor of the home builder. There is more on the Texas State Chapter page of hadd.com than i could possibly relate here, such as links to the state agency handling complaints, etc. I hope you find the cause of the sound and can fix it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">