• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal or not??????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Litigation!

eric reis said:
What is the name of your state? California
We have a neighbor who has a camera video tapieing what goes on, on our property. Is this legal? Please e-mail me and let me know.[email protected]

My response:

No! Go over there and bust up the camera. Baseball bats work nicely.

IAAL

annegg

seniorjudge said:
Call the cops and report a peeping tom.
Seriously. We also have been told that the creepy paranoid drug dealers behind us have wired a camera inside an attic area that overlooks our property as they monitor the street below for cops.
It surely must spy our playyard where my 3 young children play. There are male adults and minors at this property 24/7. How can I find out if they are also watching my kids? They sure seem to know when we are outside before we make a peep. And sure come out quick whenever folks congregate on the street around their vehicles.
Is this reasonable proof to get cops to search the place and is it illegal anyway?

BelizeBreeze

annegg said:
Seriously. We also have been told that the creepy paranoid drug dealers behind us have wired a camera inside an attic area that overlooks our property as they monitor the street below for cops.
And you know this is the purpose of the camera How?
It surely must spy our playyard where my 3 young children play.
And your proof of this is?
There are male adults and minors at this property 24/7.
And this breaks what law?
How can I find out if they are also watching my kids?
Ask to view the video feed.
They sure seem to know when we are outside before we make a peep. And sure come out quick whenever folks congregate on the street around their vehicles.
Is this reasonable proof to get cops to search the place and is it illegal anyway?
In Russia maybe. In the United States forget it.

First off, aside from my good buddy Litigation's astute observations, you have no right to privacy in a public place. And neither do your children. Therefore, you have no grounds to complain about the camera.

Second, your 'claims' of drug dealing and other illegal activity have not a shread (in this forum) of proof. So, the police will not respond except to ask that they keep the noise down and certainly will not perform an illegal search of the property based on what you have posted here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">