• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for hitting tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jocelynsfloral

What is the name of your state? utah
i was accused of hitting a tree and knocking it over by my landlords while i was moving my business out. i did not hit the tree nor did anyone helping me. seems like the only proof the landlords need is that we were moving so we must have hit the tree. i did however hit the raingutter on their builing while moving but i did tell them about that right away and told them i would pay for it.
i just received a letter from them which stated that they did get the siding fixed and although they recieved a $400 qoute for the work they did not have to pay for the it because they had other things done on another building. they said that they would not make me pay they $400 (that they also did not pay for) if i would pay for the tree by the 15th of march. If I do not pay by then they will proceed to take me to small claims for the gutter, the tree and filing costs, totalling $700.
I need advice as to what i should do. I am really tired of being pushed around by these people but I really do not want to go to court if they have the potential of getting $700 out of me.
thanks for listing look forward to hearing from someone

justalayman

jocelynsfloral said:
What is the name of your state? utah
i was accused of hitting a tree and knocking it over by my landlords while i was moving my business out. i did not hit the tree nor did anyone helping me. seems like the only proof the landlords need is that we were moving so we must have hit the tree. i did however hit the raingutter on their builing while moving but i did tell them about that right away and told them i would pay for it.
i just received a letter from them which stated that they did get the siding fixed and although they recieved a $400 qoute for the work they did not have to pay for the it because they had other things done on another building. they said that they would not make me pay they $400 (that they also did not pay for) if i would pay for the tree by the 15th of march. If I do not pay by then they will proceed to take me to small claims for the gutter, the tree and filing costs, totalling $700.
I need advice as to what i should do. I am really tired of being pushed around by these people but I really do not want to go to court if they have the potential of getting $700 out of me.
thanks for listing look forward to hearing from someone
It's your call.
There is always a chance the other party can convince a judge they are right. If they do, you lose and you pay. If you are more believable, you win. You need to look at the situation for yourself. Do you think it is a plausible situation that you may have hit the tree from the evidence you have? If so and you can't prove otherwise, you might want to cut your losses now. If it isn't, go to court and fight this.

Like I said, your call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">