• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No answer to question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sunni

I'm still trying to find answers to questions asked on 12/07, several have read question, but no answers. Even an opinion would be better than nothing, someone, please, has to have a clue if a mechanic's lien on a seized vehicle has any bearing on what happens to that lien, and that vehicle.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Mechanic's Lien:

The Mechanic's Lien
In most states the shop obtains a mechanic's lien on your car, which helps the shop secure payment for the work done. For example, if you have authorized extensive work, but decide that the car isn't worth that much after the shop completes the work and refuse to pay for completed repairs, the shop may keep your car. The car's actual value, and the actual cost of the repairs, do not matter. If you abandon your car in this manner, the shop may ultimately sell your car so that it can recover as much of the cost of repairs as possible. But note that in states that require written estimates and repair authorization, the mechanic's lien does not attach if the repair shop has not complied with these requirements. In such states, you are entitled to ask a court to order the car returned to you.

http://consumer.pub.findlaw.com/newcontent/consumerlaw/chp9_g_3.html

T

TimC

My father has obtained several vehicles with mechanics liens on them, as he owned his own repair shop.

Say a customer brings a car in for service. The shop fixes the car, but will not release the car until paid in full. If a period of time goes by without the deadbeat loser owner paying for the repair, the shop can file paperwork with the state that places a lien on the vehicle. This means that the shop has an interest in the vehicle, and ownership of the vehicle cannot change hands without the shop being satisfied.

If another given period of time expires, and with the proper paperwork files with the state, the shop eventually will be issued a title to the vehicle and can dispose of it however they choose, with no compensation to the "owner".

It is also legal for the shop to assess storage fees for the vehicle while the vehicle is on their property. So, it is wise for the owner to be responsible and pay the shop promptly, as the bill will do nothing but escalate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">