• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common-law in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ngmb

I divorced my husband fifteen years ago. We reconciled almost immediately. We never remarried but have lived together as man and wife since. We have purchased homes together, cars, etc. This relationship has come to an end and my question is: Are we married according to Texas law? The information I have been given troubles me because I am not confident of it's validity. I was told that yes we are "common-law" married and that should we separate, and neither of us files any legal action regarding the "marriage" we would be considered by the State of Texas as if the "marriage" never existed. Is this true?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Laws change frequently. All we have are current laws. You'll need to consult with an attorney to find out what the Marital Common Laws were 15 years ago. Whatever the laws were at that time, are the laws you are governed by.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">