• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence maintenance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aherndon

What is the name of your state? Indiana. I had a fence installed up to my property line. I would like to stain the other side of my fence but I know the neighbors will refuse if I ask permission and they have a no trespassing sign posted. What could happen if I wait until they are not at home and stain the fence anyway?

seniorjudge

aherndon said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana. I had a fence installed up to my property line. I would like to stain the other side of my fence but I know the neighbors will refuse if I ask permission and they have a no trespassing sign posted. What could happen if I wait until they are not at home and stain the fence anyway?
Q: What could happen if I wait until they are not at home and stain the fence anyway?

A: They could file civil and/or criminal charges against you for trespassing.

...Generally, the law supports special agreements, even when oral, between adjoining landowners for fence maintenance. However, for agreements to be binding (covenants running with the land) on subsequent landowners, they should be in writing and recorded. Covenants in deeds concerning the maintenance of fences have been held by Indiana courts to be binding on future as well as current landowners....

http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/inwood/past issues/indiana farm fence law.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">