• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting a judgement vacated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Woody909

What is the name of your state? OH

There is a $4000 default judgement against me in the Youngstown City courts. I am in the process of cleaning up my credit and this is one of the problems. I have been in contact with the lawyer asking for proof that this is my debt in the first place and he has been unable and unwilling to provide this. There is nothing in the court papers with my signature on it - I am worried about identity theft because some of the addresses don't match up.

How and what do I file to have this judgement vacated since the lawyer can't prove that it is my debt?

Last edited:

racer72

He doesn't have to give you the proof it was your debt, you were given the chance to defend yourself and did not. The proof should be with the original court filing, you can get a copy of that. Then you to obtain the necessary documents to prove the debt is not yours then file suit to have the judgment set aside.

Woody909

I got a copy of the court papers and there is no proof in there that this is mine - the original addresses I never lived at.

dcatz

Look at the court papers, and specifically the Proof of Service, to see who was served, when and how. If it wasn't you, then you didn't get notice and you have a place to start.

If it was you and you ignored it, you have the problem that racer72 explained.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">