• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce in CO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lildevil719

I live in Colorado Springs, CO. My husband and I were married here in October of 1997, upon his return from Basic Training for the Marine Corps. I have been back in Colorado long enough to fill the requirements of residency. He is a Colorado resident because he never changed his permanent home of address. We separated in August of 2000. I have a couple of problems. first of all, does anybody know if Colorado is a "no fault" state? second, what is the separation period that you have to wait before you can file a divorce in Colorado. The rest of my problems concern the paperwork. I left California on August 18th, 2000. I have proof of this. My husband has stayed on living in military housing and wants to use an incorrect date(Oct 26) on the paperwork so that he will not have to pay back BAH. This is perjury, is it not? I have refused to do this, but he keeps pushing it. in December of 97, we purchased a car together. The car was in my name, with him as the cosigner. in November of 1999, we had the car repossessed because the engine blew and we couldn't afford to fix it. There is a large balance owing on this vehicle. He has agreed to pay for half of the vehicle. I feel that he should pay for the whole thing. I am pregnant(not by him, and I got pregnant after I came back to Colorado), and my doctor has told me that I cannot work, it would be detrimental to my unborn child. Therefore, I can not afford to make payments on the car. Even if I could work, the amount of money that I would be making is less than half of his take home pay. am I wrong for feeling he should take on the debt? or even just pay the payments until I can work again? Third problem- He purchased a vehicle after I left California. He wants me to put this vehicle on the divorce paperwork, and says that if I don't, he won't sign it. He wants it on the paperwork so that I can't fight for it and take the car away later on. I don't want his stupid car, and I am willing to sign some thing to that effect. My questions here are 1. Since the vehicle was purchased after I left the state, and since my name is not on the paperwork anywhere, is the vehicle he purchased considered a marital debt? and my 2. if I do put the car on the paperwork, and he defaults on the payments(which he has a habit of doing) will I be held responsible for the payments since the vehicle is on the divorce paperwork? I know there is a lot here, and some of it is muddled...if you need clarification on anything, please let me know. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Melissa

L

lildevil719

Sorry, I guess that got kind of long. here's my basic questions.
1. If I use an incorrect date on the divorce papers, what would be the consequences? Isn't that considered perjury?

2. In regards to the car he bought after I left the state of CA(where he is stationed), is that car considered a marital debt, since it was purchased after we separated?
And if I do agree to put the vehicle on the paperwork, and he defaults on payments, will I be held responsible to make those payments, since the vehicle would be on the divorce paperwork?

3. If i push for him to have to pay for all of the outstanding debt on the repossessed car, since I cannot work for at least another 5 months, am I likely to get that?(since, even when I can work again, the most I'll bring in is only half of his pay, and the payment on the debt would be over half of my pay?)

We are both legal residents of Colorado
Thanks,
Melissa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">