• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Try to save two trees on the border

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssmart

What is the name of your state? NC
Just bought a house last summer and there are two trees on the border( I assume) planted by the previous owner. Yesterday, the neightbor came to my house and said the trees are on their property and asked me to remove them. I want to save these trees which help to keep our community pretty. But the neightbor don't think so. Any option I have here?
1) I'm not sure whether the trees are on their property or not. We didn't do a survey when we purchaesd this house. If they are not on our property, we have no right on them. The neightbor can do whatever they want. Right? Even they were planted by the previous owner.
2) If they are on my property, they can not do anything on them. Right? What happen if the leaves fall on their property?
3) if based on their own survey, not the professional one, they remove the trees, I can sue them later when I found out these trees are on my property. Right?

PghREA

ssmart said:
What is the name of your state? NC
Just bought a house last summer and there are two trees on the border( I assume) planted by the previous owner. Yesterday, the neightbor came to my house and said the trees are on their property and asked me to remove them. I want to save these trees which help to keep our community pretty. But the neightbor don't think so. Any option I have here?
1) I'm not sure whether the trees are on their property or not. We didn't do a survey when we purchaesd this house. If they are not on our property, we have no right on them. The neightbor can do whatever they want. Right? Even they were planted by the previous owner.

If the trees are on the neighbor's property, he can remove them.

2) If they are on my property, they can not do anything on them. Right?

Right.

What happen if the leaves fall on their property?

They can rake them up or just let them lay on the ground.

3) if based on their own survey, not the professional one, they remove the trees, I can sue them later when I found out these trees are on my property. Right?
If the trees are a big issue between you two, you need a professional survey to find out whose property they are on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">