• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

R/O/W/ or private drive?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Norman Nault

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire My neighbors have a deeded right of way through my property. Since building their house they have purchased another parcel of land which enabeled them to build a driveway on their own property,which they have. They seem to use the r/o/was part of a large horseshoe driveway. To begin with when they got permits they only had 20' of road frontage which is the r/o/w .Far less frontage than the town requires. They are telling us or anyone else on my property that the r/o/w is a private drive.Recently when I was applying for my own driveway permit on another area of my property this r/o/w was an issue except that I had enough road frontage to allow for my driveway.Why, now that they have driveway of their own can't this r/o/w be blocked off? The r/o/w doesn't affect any other properties.

justalayman

Norman Nault said:
Why, now that they have driveway of their own can't this r/o/w be blocked off? .
It could be if both you as the owner of the property and the neighbors that have deeded rights to the property in question agree to it.

The ROW is deeded to the neighbors. You cannot merely reclaim it because the do or do not use it. The only way for you to regain control of the ROW is for the neighbors to agree to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">