• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I financially responsible for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

musiclove8

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this problem under, but I would appreciate any advice.

I live in a duplex. Each of the 2 units consists of 3 floors - basement, ground level, and upstairs. Each unit has 3 tenants, and we'll call my room mates Beth and Ann. Also important to know - the sub-pump for both units is in my unit's basement.

On the night of 3/12 there was a huge amount of rain. On the morning of 3/13, my landlord came over to tell me that the other unit's basement had flooded (6 inches of standing water) and he thought the pump had failed. We went into my unit's basement to check the pump. My basement had also flooded (also 6 inches of water). The pump was not plugged in. The landlord plugged it back in, and the water was able to be pumped out of the basement. It is safe to say that the reason the other unit's basement flooded was because our pump was not plugged in.

Here is where I am at a loss.... Beth is the only one in our unit that uses the basement or ever goes down there (she has an art studio set up). I frequently hear her using electrical appliances (drills, sanders, etc.). When we went to check the pump, there were other cords laying all around the one outlet (the one where the pump was SUPPOSED to be plugged in). She claims that she did not unplug the pump. I find that incredibly difficult to believe.

If she was the person who unplugged the pump, are all 3 of us still equally liable for the other unit's damages?
There is no mention of anything relating to this matter in our lease. Is my landlord to be held responsible at all? (So far, he has been an excellent, responsible landlord who has always helped us out with anything we needed.)
If we have to give the other unit's tenants money for the damages, what are we financially responsible for? How do we know how much is fair to give them? (Like what if they ask for a ridiculously large amount of money?)

Basically, I don't know what I should be doing right now. I'm very frustrated because I feel like I'm being held responsible for something that wasn't my fault. Or is it my fault just because I live in the unit with the pump?

I have no idea what I am doing. Please help.

lwpat

I fail to see how you are responsible for anything. The landlord is responsible for the pump and should have had it permanently connected. He can go after Beth for any damages. Tell the others to take a hike.

nextwife

lwpat said:
I fail to see how you are responsible for anything. The landlord is responsible for the pump and should have had it permanently connected. He can go after Beth for any damages. Tell the others to take a hike.
Excuse me? I'm in Wisconsin and have shown zillions of properties. NOBODY has sump pumps PERMANTENTLY plugged in because NOBODY is normally stupid enough to unplug it unless they are servicing or replacing it. Who unplugs a sump pump? I've never known anyone to ever leave a sump pump unplugged!

Exactly HOW do you permanently plug in the sump pump? I've never seen that done.

BL

As far as any damages , the other side's tenants would have to prove their worths , in the court of law .

Perhaps if they raise a stink , the LL's home owner's insurance would cover it .

Also , that's what renters insurance is for .

You appear to be holding this on your own shoulders , DON'T .

Also , even sump pumps won't handle too much water drain at once , as you described .

Last edited:

nextwife

Blonde Lebinese said:
As far as any damages , the other side's tenants would have to prove their worths , in the court of law .

Perhaps if they raise a stink , the LL's home owner's insurance would cover it .

Also , that's what renters insurance is for .

You appear to be holding this on your own shoulders , DON'T .

Also , even sump pumps won't handle too much water drain at once , as you described .
I'm in WI. I am doubtful this was a huge quantity (as in many inches) in a very short time, it was likely that the frequent "emptying" of the sump crock was not occuring, thus water continued to build up around the foundation, and continued to fill the basement. My sump empties a few times a day even on dry days because of ground water. IT must be a continuous process. Especially important in SE WI, which has clay soil that does not absorb well.

Hey, if you lost power for a long time, you might blame it on the fact the sump couldn't have run? Unless he had back up power.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">