• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racism in the Workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Predikit

What is the name of your state? NJ

Today was St. Patrick's Day, and I'm a huge fan of it. I was raised to believe I was Irish, I've always celebrated St. Patty's Day, and I'm really proud of my heritage. I have an Assistant Manager from England who has repeatedly said he hates the Irish, and I always assumed it was a joke. Today he entered the break room and informed me that I was going to burn in hell for being Irish, and he was happy knowing that he'd never run into people like me in Heaven.

I ran out of the building crying, because I've never felt that kind of hatred and hurt before. What should I do? I've already reported him to the Ethics hotline of our workplace, but they won't get the message until Monday, and I still have two scheduled work days where I will be in contact with him.

Friends have demanded I not only report him, but that I consult a lawyer and sue for racial discrimination, racism in the workplace, and harrassment. I don't have any money, I barely make due with the wages they pay me, but I've heard of lawyers who will take cases and won't take payment unless I receive payment, and even pro-bono lawyers that charge nothing.

I work for a major corporation, and I'm timid about filing this severe of a claim against a company that's world-wide. What should I do?

garrula lingua

You have the right to file with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) if you believe you were discriminated against because of your ethnicity. It will not cost you to file a complaint.

But honesty, how were you injured ? Did this yoyo discriminate against you in an employment/promotion decision ?

I'm married to an Englishman and my family emigrated from Ireland. The English have a very dry wit & sense of humor. It's a genetic flaw in which the Irish don't share.:D The razz is usually lovingly sniping. (It's hard to see when they are smiling/kidding, but they frequently are.)

Possibly you misinterpreted his genetic, odd Brit sense of humor. (All the ones i know are teddybears who like to make fun of the Irish whom they really admire. I lived in Eng for a short while & took much razzing from Brits - it was all in good fun.)

Your situation is different in that yoyo is your Asst Mngr. But, how has he discriminated against you ?

Just be polite and professional in your dealings with yoyo over the next two days, and thereafter.

Draw on your Irish heritage - they were the navies of the world and now, they are the leading EU growth economy and a modern, well-educated country where people are emigrating to.

If yoyo does (rather than says) anything discriminary, then report him to EEOC.

PS: how long have you had this job ?
PPS: navies - uneducared laborers.

Last edited:

JETX

Predikit said:
Today was St. Patrick's Day, and I'm a huge fan of it. I was raised to believe I was Irish, I've always celebrated St. Patty's Day, and I'm really proud of my heritage. I have an Assistant Manager from England who has repeatedly said he hates the Irish, and I always assumed it was a joke. Today he entered the break room and informed me that I was going to burn in hell for being Irish, and he was happy knowing that he'd never run into people like me in Heaven.

I ran out of the building crying, because I've never felt that kind of hatred and hurt before. What should I do?
Clearly, you have led a sheltered life, huh??
The guy is an idiot, but that is not illegal. And his rantings don't even approach any violation of anti-racism, harassment or discrimination.

Learn to tolerate idiots (Lord knows we have on this forum).... and to get on with your life.

Friends have demanded I not only report him, but that I consult a lawyer and sue for racial discrimination, racism in the workplace, and harrassment. I don't have any money, I barely make due with the wages they pay me, but I've heard of lawyers who will take cases and won't take payment unless I receive payment, and even pro-bono lawyers that charge nothing.
Yep, but before they take a contingent case, they want some type of assurance that a legal wrong was done. It wasn't in this case, so there goes your 'legal-lottery'.

Dandy Don

Your case is not strong enough to win anything in court--you can not show how you have been damaged by this man's comments.

At the very least you need to file an official written complaint with your supervisor (or his) or with the human relations department so they can be put on notice for his harrassment and someone can speak to him about this.

ecmst12

Plus in a harassment case don't you need to show that you tried to deal with the problems through the regular channels in place at your company BEFORE you proceeded with legal action?

BelizeBreeze

ecmst12 said:
Plus in a harassment case don't you need to show that you tried to deal with the problems through the regular channels in place at your company BEFORE you proceeded with legal action?
oh Brother! :rolleyes:

mlane58

ecmst12 said:
You are incorrect that an employee doesn't need to show that they tried to deal with the problems through regular channels.

"Title VII prohibits offensive conduct, such as ethnic slurs, that creates a hostile work environment based on national origin. Employers are required to take appropriate steps to prevent and correct unlawful harassment. Likewise, employees are responsible for reporting harassment at an early stage to prevent its escalation."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">