• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hippychick

Me, my then boyfriend, and two other friends pulled in to a national park overlook at around midnight one night in the summer of 1999. Right about the time we got parked a game warden pulled in with his blue lights on. He informed us that the overlook was closed and that he would give us a warning for trespassing. (We later looked and found a sign stating the hours it was open on a sign about 6" off the ground.) After writing the warning, he decided that he wanted to search my car. Knowing that the cops around here will find a way to get a search warrant if you tell them no, and thinking that he would be less suspicious and not search as thoroughly if we agreed, I said yes.

I was right - he barely even looked and found nothing. He was getting ready to let us go when a state trooper pulled up to see what was going on. Then the county cop that was already there decided to search some more.

To make a long story short, they found a srynge with trace amounts of cocaine on my boyfriend, nothing on one friend, a half gram of cocaine on the other, and a small amount of cocaine, two nearly empty bags of marijuana, a quart of non-tax paid liquor, and numerous items of paraphenalia on me and in my car. They took statements from us stating what was found on us and let us go, saying they would be in touch.

About 4 or 5 months later, my boyfriend the only one of us with prior drug convictions) was charged with possession of cocaine, plead guilty, and receivied 3 months probation. Myself and the other friend have heard nothing. When will the statute of limitations be up? And if anything comes of it, could the search have been declared illegal under these circumstances?

hippychick

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">