• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

well rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snakecharmer

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. I have recently bought a home in rural Tennessee.
The home and land was part of a larger farm and was broken up and sold in separate lots sometime ago. I have well water and my well also supplys the adjoining property. apparently the family got together many years ago and comingled their monies to drill a well and bought a pump for their mutual use. apparently the family and the most recent owners have been using the well and splitting the cost of pump repair and electricity costs. I was told by the sellers from whom i bought the property that the people have not been very timely and reliable in providing payment for these items. So i've decided to discontinue their use of the well as of april 1st 2006. I sent a letter back in early january stating my intentions and i have researched both deeds from both tracts of land. I cannot find any recorded contract, or notation on either recorded deed about any well easement. The neighbors have access to city water directly in front of their home, but they insist they have every right to this well. They have consulted an attorney who has written a letter to me stating that his clients would pursue legal action if i cut off the water. By the way this is not the owners personal residence. this is a lease house from which they earn money for rent. Please Help!!

lwpat

It is unlikley they will persue legal action since the attorney will charge them much more than the tap to the city water. They just don't want to pay for what they have been receiving for free. Check with DHEC or the local health department. There may be rules about the sharing of water between properties that will let you off the hook.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">