• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builder doesn't want to share sub invoices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmtell

What is the name of your state? WA
My husband and I are building a house with a very reputable company. They have been responsive and the house is going very well so far. We have 2 loans for the house and the first has been exhausted. So, to avoid starting the second loan, we've asked the builder to bill us directly for the remaining work. The bank lender has not asked for receipts/invoices in the past from the builder, all they do is verify that the work has been completed.

My husband met with the girl that requests the funds from the banks today. When he asked her about obtaining the receipts from the subcontractors when she requests funds from us she got a little nervous. Upon a quick examination while she was out of the rooom, he noticed that (for example) our gargage door was budgeted $750, but was only billed for $745. The builder requested the full $750 from the bank. The discrepancy itself is what makes us nervous. We do have some things that we know are over budget that we are going to pay for out of pocket (like countertops), but it could be that the things that are under would've covered the total overage. It's like they take whatever was budgeted or the overage, but never anything less than budget if anything is happens to be under budget. The girl told my husband that if we wanted to see the invoices, we needed to talk to the CEO.

I suggested that maybe they just consider this stuff part of the mark-up that they use to calculate the cost of the house, but mark-up and overhead is a seperate line item on our list of budgeted items. If they want the extra money, they should just increase the mark-up and stop screwing us.

Do we have any rights to the receipts/invoices? We have a contract with the builder, but I suspect that it doesn't include a "right to audit" section or anything like that.

pojo2

Were you not given a contract price to build this home? If so what do the day to day receipts mean anyway? Unless you are being billed per item placed in the home and the labor involved in doing such I can't see the problem.

They may have paid 745 for that door, I believe you said, but your actual price may be substantially higher or lower based on the contract. So knowing what they pay for supplies is really not of much benefit to you.

If you do not know what your contract means perhaps it is time for you to get an Atty who can explain it to you.

Your issue is why an Atty could have built safeguards into your contract concerning such issues. If you signed without an Atty going over the contracts first then you can bet the contract is made out in the interest of the builder.

lwpat

Your only problem would be if they do not pay the subs or vendors. Usually I ask for a list and verify that they are being paid. You do not have a right to know the individual pricing unless it is cost plus or to verify a change.

acmb05

kmtell said:
What is the name of your state? WA
My husband and I are building a house with a very reputable company. They have been responsive and the house is going very well so far. We have 2 loans for the house and the first has been exhausted. So, to avoid starting the second loan, we've asked the builder to bill us directly for the remaining work. The bank lender has not asked for receipts/invoices in the past from the builder, all they do is verify that the work has been completed.

My husband met with the girl that requests the funds from the banks today. When he asked her about obtaining the receipts from the subcontractors when she requests funds from us she got a little nervous. Upon a quick examination while she was out of the rooom, he noticed that (for example) our gargage door was budgeted $750, but was only billed for $745. The builder requested the full $750 from the bank. The discrepancy itself is what makes us nervous. We do have some things that we know are over budget that we are going to pay for out of pocket (like countertops), but it could be that the things that are under would've covered the total overage. It's like they take whatever was budgeted or the overage, but never anything less than budget if anything is happens to be under budget. The girl told my husband that if we wanted to see the invoices, we needed to talk to the CEO.

I suggested that maybe they just consider this stuff part of the mark-up that they use to calculate the cost of the house, but mark-up and overhead is a seperate line item on our list of budgeted items. If they want the extra money, they should just increase the mark-up and stop screwing us.

Do we have any rights to the receipts/invoices? We have a contract with the builder, but I suspect that it doesn't include a "right to audit" section or anything like that.
If they are billing you directly now for anything you can request copies of itemized bills whenever you want to.

Now if the builder gives you a price for lets say Drywall and you agree to that price and he gives you a bill for it you pay it. If the builder then finds someone else that will do it cheaper then that is his right to do so.

However if the builder tells you that a certain item like the countertops are going to be 2000 and he then finds a supplier that only charges 1500 he can not charge you the full 2000 for it.

In other words he can jack up the price of labor anytime he wants but he can not jack up the price of material.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">