• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airline dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

burns1

I was on a flight to Buffalo from Atlanta on Tuesday November 21, 2000 with my girlfriend. We were flying up there for the Thanksgiving holiday. Buffalo's airport had been closed and our flight was in jeopardy of being canceled. AirTran informed me that at 5:00 PM they would make a final decision on the 8:20 PM flight. At 5:45 PM I called AirTran and they informed me that my flight was canceled and the next possible flight they could put us on was 3:00 PM on Thanksgiving Day. We could not wait till this day and AirTran said they would gladly switch us to another destination that they fly to. We decided to fly to Dulles because we would stay with some friends and drive the next morning. The Dulles flight was leaving at the same time as the Buffalo flight. When we arrived at the Airport in Atlanta at 7:00 PM, we noticed the Buffalo flight was no longer canceled. When we went to the counter, but they would not switch us back because we changed the flight. Thus, we had to rent a car from Dulles to Buffalo. I have discussed this with AirTran and they are offering no compensation for the rental car. Do I have a case against AirTran. I would like to know. I have told this story to a number of people and everybody thinks this was unfair

Basically, I only elected to fly to a different destination after my flight was canceled. I have an idea on what AirTran did. The two previous flights to Buffalo had been canceled and thus they had numerous passengers in the airport flying stand-by on our flight. Customer service was instructed to tell passengers to call at 5:00 to check on the status of the flight. When the flight was canceled numerous passengers either elected to fly on the 3:00 PM Thanksgiving day flight or choose a different destination. AirTran now had a number of seats available for the stand-by passengers. The passengers who elected to fly the Thanksgiving day flight would never have known that the 8:20 PM flight on Tuesday actually took off. This is an unfair practice and AirTran should be accountable. AirTran blames the weather, however, the poor communication to the consumer is what the real problem is.
The newest information that I heard from AirTran was at 5:15PM this flight was cleared for take off. Thus my point is why would I change my flight if the flight was never canceled. I think AirTran performed some unfair business tactics in order alleviate the congestion in the airport. 

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

One simple sentence: can't recover for simple economic loss for another's negligence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">