• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat engine underwater

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MuteThis

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I purchased a boat knowing the engine didn't function. I purchased an engine for the boat that cost $1000. Some assembly was still required. In Octobert a co-worker of mine gave me the phone number of a marine mechanic he knew (Let's call him Bob). Bob came by saw the engine an said that it would take 8-10 hours to complete the engine at $50 an hour. I told him that was fine. I told him that if he needed to buy parts to contact me first so I could maintain cost. Bob agreed and we loaded the engine on my engine stand into his minivan...

I don't really need the boat until summer so I only called Bob once a month for updates. The first three months Bob hadn't done anything. Finally I get a call from him asking an alternator for the boat engine. He says it'll be about $150 and I tell him that's fine. Then I asked Bob about his progress. He says that he's just about done. I said great, can you send me an invoice? He said sure.

A week later my invoice arrives. $600 for labor, $600 for parts and $60 for tax. At this point I'm floored. I was expecting to see $500 + $150. The prices he lists for the parts seem really high in the invoice, so I asked him to show me the reciepts for the parts. He replied by saying "You expect to pay for parts what I paid for the parts". I'm like yeah! I feel like this guy is a work from his garage mechanic that is trying to bill me like he's some sort of dealer. Upcharging me for parts? Come on...

Anyway, I'm posting to see if I have any options here. I feel like I only agreed to $650 and I'm being billed $1260... I told him that since I asked him to contact me before purchasing any parts that I would only be willing to pay the original $500 in labor plus his cost on parts and he told me that is wasn't going to work like that.

Am I out $1260 here or do I have options? If I go to civil court what would I sue for? Seems like in the end I still owe him some money... What if he tries to sabotage the engine? Should I get a lawyer? If I do, would I be possible to tack legal fees onto any damages? Do I have a case here?

Thanks for your time.

Lost at sea,
MuteThis

Litigation!

MuteThis said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I purchased a boat knowing the engine didn't function. I purchased an engine for the boat that cost $1000. Some assembly was still required. In Octobert a co-worker of mine gave me the phone number of a marine mechanic he knew (Let's call him Bob). Bob came by saw the engine an said that it would take 8-10 hours to complete the engine at $50 an hour. I told him that was fine. I told him that if he needed to buy parts to contact me first so I could maintain cost. Bob agreed and we loaded the engine on my engine stand into his minivan...

I don't really need the boat until summer so I only called Bob once a month for updates. The first three months Bob hadn't done anything. Finally I get a call from him asking an alternator for the boat engine. He says it'll be about $150 and I tell him that's fine. Then I asked Bob about his progress. He says that he's just about done. I said great, can you send me an invoice? He said sure.

A week later my invoice arrives. $600 for labor, $600 for parts and $60 for tax. At this point I'm floored. I was expecting to see $500 + $150. The prices he lists for the parts seem really high in the invoice, so I asked him to show me the reciepts for the parts. He replied by saying "You expect to pay for parts what I paid for the parts". I'm like yeah! I feel like this guy is a work from his garage mechanic that is trying to bill me like he's some sort of dealer. Upcharging me for parts? Come on...

Anyway, I'm posting to see if I have any options here. I feel like I only agreed to $650 and I'm being billed $1260... I told him that since I asked him to contact me before purchasing any parts that I would only be willing to pay the original $500 in labor plus his cost on parts and he told me that is wasn't going to work like that.

Am I out $1260 here or do I have options? If I go to civil court what would I sue for? Seems like in the end I still owe him some money... What if he tries to sabotage the engine? Should I get a lawyer? If I do, would I be possible to tack legal fees onto any damages? Do I have a case here?

Thanks for your time.

Lost at sea,
MuteThis

My response:

Where's your written contract? Whoops! Don't have a written contract?

Then guess who doesn't have a case.

IAAL

MuteThis

We had an oral contract... Isn't there anything that says if he want's to charge more than x amount he needs that in writing? If not oh well :(

I mean what if I take my car to the local car wash and they say It'll be $10 outside. I get to the register inside and they try to charge me $100? I should have asked for a contract from the guy that was vacuming the floormat? I was hoping for more consumer protection than that.

genivieve

MuteThis said:
We had an oral contract... Isn't there anything that says if he want's to charge more than x amount he needs that in writing? If not oh well :(

I mean what if I take my car to the local car wash and they say It'll be $10 outside. I get to the register inside and they try to charge me $100? I should have asked for a contract from the guy that was vacuming the floormat? I was hoping for more consumer protection than that.
Because there would be a listing of prices at the car wash.:eek: Much like a registered repair shop. Being licensed by the state they can't charge you anymore on hourly rate then is posted. You get a estimate in writing and a receipt of labor and parts! Sometimes when your trying to save a buck and actually get screwed for a few more than you planned****************************

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">