• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this lawyer doing his job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbb87

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My father has a court appointed attorney. From what I've found out, the attorney handles mostly divorce cases and maybe child custody cases (family law, I suppose). My father's case has to do with two things. One is a major zoning violation and the other is a criminal charge (violating a court order, which he didn't do). I find this court appointed attorney to be incompetent when it comes to my father's cases. I've asked him questions regarding the county zoning laws and he never knows anything. He just doesn't seem to be doing his job. I suspect part of that is because he knows very little about zoning laws.

Would it be safe to assume that since this lawyer handles mostly divorce and child custody cases, that maybe he shouldn't be handling a zoning and criminal case? I think the judge picked out the lawyer and the judge won't let my father get a new one.

A few weeks ago I started going with my father to talk to the lawyer and also to his court hearings. My father is mentally ill and I believe that needs a family member to go with him to make sure everything is going as planned. Anyway, my father says that since I've been going with him to see the lawyer and to court, that the lawyer is now defending him better in court. He actually seems to be doing his job a bit better. That really makes me wonder about the lawyer.

Any thoughts on the situation?

Dandy Don

Someone at the court (or whoever is in charge of appointing attorneys) should be able to answer your question about how to get a replacement attorney. Ask for a list of about 10 candidates to interview until you find one who perhaps may have experience with zoning matters.

If you really wanted to help your father that much, can't you afford to hire an attorney who has this experience?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">