• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What makes a computer a lemon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmcsmith

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania

about 10 months ago a purchased a brand new laptop and since then i have had seven problems with the machine three of which required the computer to be sent in for repairs.
i had the following problems:
1 - complete motherboard failure, machine would not accept power or turn on. resulted in shipping the pc to california for repairs and massive loss of data
2 - wireless would not work when connected using windows. fixed over the phone after about 2 hours and multipul consultants.
3 - battry failure, resulted in the sending back of the battry. battry life got down to about 15 min on a full charge
4 - DVD-RW drive failure, resulted in the sending back of the machine again.
5 - when they originally sent the pc back to me for problem 1 they didnt reinstall the reformat software so i couldnt reformat my harddrive because the machine doesnt come with restore cds
6 - the machine has a SD card reader built in and refuses to hold the card in the slot. the first time the machine was sent in this was fixed and the second time it came back not working again.
7 - finally about three days ago my USB ports stopped working all together so i can no longer print, transfer files, use a mouse or keyboard, or any of my mulitipul usb devices.

the company has told me that they do not replace the pc unless they have to repair the same problem three times. i was wondering if this computer could be declaired a lemon. I am interested in trying to get my money back because i have no interest in having a computer made by this company any longer.
i would appreciate any advice you can give
thanks
joe

BL

What does the warranty State ?

You could always request anything in writing , RRR Certified mail , and request a written response .

If you don't like there answer , you could make a complaint with your local Attorney General's Office of consumer Affairs and the BBB .

Some of these issues seem to be software related , not hardware . Also Data is stored on the HD , not the MB .

Many PCs come with a backup restore partition , and if you want to make restore CDs , you can to it from that Partition .

You have to read the manual .

jmcsmith

thx

thanks for the suggestions. because of the compactness of the laptop the harddrive is soudered to th MB so everything had to be replaced.
thx for your help

averad

jmcsmith said:
tbecause of the compactness of the laptop the harddrive is soudered to th MB so everything had to be replaced.
I cant find a single reference to a soldered HD in a laptop online. Model # would help.

Vista isn’t going to do anything other then be a resource hog.

Happy Trails

http://www.kahnandassociates.com/pennsylvania_lemon_law_statute.html

Scroll down to > Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - Federal Lemon Law

(I'm sure your warranty states the steps that they can take to "Remedy" these problems.)

(10) The term "remedy" means whichever of the following actions the warrantor elects:

(A) repair,
(B) replacement, or
(C) refund;

(Go to the source as I stated above for a complete read on this issue.)

(If you find out that this same laptop is being reported as having the same problems or defects, etc... that could be a different situation.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">