• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lrob238830

I've lived in domestic violence my whole marriage. Recently I left my husband and moved a few states away. A man I met online rented me an apartment to get me away from Colorado. When I got there we had a sexual relationship. I have two small boys. My husband says if we divorce he has a good case against me to get full custody of the boys. I assume its because I had an affair with this person I met on the internet and moved so far away. Does he have a case against me? We will either divorce in Colorado or Washington.

LegalBeagle

Lrob238830 said:
I've lived in domestic violence my whole marriage. Recently I left my husband and moved a few states away. A man I met online rented me an apartment to get me away from Colorado. When I got there we had a sexual relationship. I have two small boys. My husband says if we divorce he has a good case against me to get full custody of the boys. I assume its because I had an affair with this person I met on the internet and moved so far away. Does he have a case against me? We will either divorce in Colorado or Washington.
Does he have proof of the adultery ? Did you ever report the DV to the police ? Do you have proof of the DV etc ?

L

Lrob238830

I admitted to the adultery. I have made a few police reports of the domestic violence he was jailed once but he says after having gone through anger control and doing all they told him he had to its now off his record. Some coworkers have seen the bruises he's left in the past. But other than that no proof. a couple of police reports but he's never left a lot of marks on me some bruises is all. and the one arrest. what do you think are his chances of custody?

LegalBeagle

Lrob238830 said:
I admitted to the adultery. I have made a few police reports of the domestic violence he was jailed once but he says after having gone through anger control and doing all they told him he had to its now off his record. Some coworkers have seen the bruises he's left in the past. But other than that no proof. a couple of police reports but he's never left a lot of marks on me some bruises is all. and the one arrest. what do you think are his chances of custody?
You telling him of the act is not proof enough.. but you do have proof of the DV so your chances are fairly good to get custody.. but, you need an attorney. You can put the move to another state down to the fact you was in fear of his continued violence etc..

What is important is where you file for the divorce .. Which state are you in ? CO or WA ?

L

Lrob238830

my lover messaged him on AIM and told him that he and I had a sexual relationship and my husband printed it. I admitted it as well. I have coworkers that have seen the bruises and knew of the DV and a few police reports and he was jailed once. he says that is no longer on his record as he fulfilled his requirements. please tell me what are his chances of full custody due to my "internet affair". He says my time on the computer makes me a bad mother as well. He has a terrible temper and has been very violent in the past as well as near past.

LegalBeagle

Lrob238830 said:
my lover messaged him on AIM and told him that he and I had a sexual relationship and my husband printed it. I admitted it as well. I have coworkers that have seen the bruises and knew of the DV and a few police reports and he was jailed once. he says that is no longer on his record as he fulfilled his requirements. please tell me what are his chances of full custody due to my "internet affair". He says my time on the computer makes me a bad mother as well. He has a terrible temper and has been very violent in the past as well as near past.
You have a decent chance.. but only a judge can decide. An attorney will improve your chances..

Why would your 'lover' send him a message ? Have you dumped this guy ??.. geez, sounds like you need to get a grip of your life.. Good luck.

L

Lrob238830

I've posted a reply twice but n ot sure where youre reply is and how to bring it up. help!! I'm not getting your reply.

L

Lrob238830

I found your reply. yes youre right I need to get a grip on my life. so you pretty sure I have a good chance and also will a pro bono lawyer be ok? or do I need a good one? spouse says they only have a 60% success rate.

L

Lrob238830

I am in Colorado now but we are planning to move to WA. I'm trying to wait things out until we move there because I understand the laws are stricter out there concerning domestic violence. Will they in WA search his record in CO when considering custody? Myhusband says internet affairs are not looked on highly in the courts. My move to WA was to start a new life NOT with this guy but we did fall in to a sexual relationship which I ended while out there. Just last night he raised his fist to hit me but stopped himself and the verbal lashings I got this morning...I dont know if we will make it back to WA but I hope to get the divorce in WA. What are my chances of custody? Which would be the better state to divorce in? If we divorce here would they let me and the kids move to WA after the divorce? I want to get away from him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">