• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

almost

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
My ex and I had an agreed parenting plan that was never signed because the ex's attorney never put it on paper accurately. Although I had custody of the kids and had them more than 60% of the time, we agreed to no child support, but that attorney kept putting in the papers that my ex got the tax deduction anyway.

Also, the original agreement announced in court was that he had the kids every weekend during the school year and I had them every weekend during the summer, but the exs attorney kept sending the plan to us saying that I only had them every other weekend in the summer.

The ex filed last summer a petition to change custody, even though the other papers hadn't been signed and there was no final disposition. He got custody of the children, and the judge said that I had been difficult and uncooperative in not signing the original agreement. But that's not what happened. I read the pretrial brief that the opposing counsel gave the judge before the hearing where he gave the kids to the dad. In it he said that I had been difficult and uncooperative and he also outlined what the agreement was. He actually put it on paper correctly, saying that I was to have the kids every weekend in the summer, but I can show that he didn't put that in any of his versions of that parenting plan we agreed to. Can I do anything with this information?

Also, the judge has now told the opposing attorney to change the wording of the filing from last summer to read petition to establish custody instead of change custody. Shouldn't they have had to have a final disposition on the first plan announced in court? Shouldn't that attorney have been made to put it on paper correctly?

Also, a little over a year ago, I went to court without an attorney with a petition to establish child support, not change, establish. But the judge told me that I couldn't do that until the agreed plan had been signed. None of this sounds right to me. Please give any knowedge or advice you might have on this. I would appreciate it so very much. Thanks

I should also add that the ex filed a petition for contempt at the time he filed for the change of custody. It was ruled unfounded.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">