• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landscape Design company used my idea after I left company...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lars

Thought I'd ask....
I worked for a large Landscape/Architecture company as a drafter for a spring/summer...I am a fairly good artist, and at one point a Landscape designer I worked with approached me and asked me to draw up an idea for an outdoor fireplace for a property they were working on.
I did on some scrap paper, and they decided they liked enough to throw it in the conceptual drawings that would be presented to the client.
I soon left the company, and a year or so later found out that they actually used the sketches and ideas I had drawn up and built the fireplace. This is a huge outdoor fireplace in a terrace at a very upscale apartment community. I suppose if I had still been working for them, I would have some sort of recognition at the object, a plaque or something stating who it was designed by, etc. but now it angers me that they built this fireplace (it's huge and Mayan-themed, one of a kind) without even asking me or telling me. For all I know, somebody else has also taken credit for it.
I have heard of a 'poor man's copyright' and other things for artists, but can't decide whether to leave this alone or ask this large company that I be recognized for this high profile piece of art. I'll probably just forget about it, but hell, I thought I'd ask since there are always weird things going on these days like people getting money for spilling coffee on themselves and all that crap.
Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">