• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TIRED OF EX-HUSBAND

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TVAL

MY EX HAS MY NAME ON HIS TRUCK LOAN HE ALSO BORROWED A CREDIT CARD FROM MY MOM TO PAY OFF A HIGH INTEREST LOAN THAT HE HAD WHICH WAS $3000. I DID A BALANCE TRANSFER OF $1500 FROM MY MOM'S CARD TO MINE TO HELP PAY MY MOM OFF FASTER. HE ISN'T PAYING EITHER LOAN. HE IS DESTROYING MY CREDIT. WE HAD A DO IT YOURSELF DIVORCE. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS ANYWAY THAT I CAN SUE HIM TO GET ME AND MY MOM PAID OFF AND GET MY NAME OFF THE TRUCK LOAN.

usmcfamily

when he borrowed the money from your mother (used her card)--was there a written contract between them that clearly stated the guidelines for him to repay her and bearing both signatures and that of a notary? If so then your mother has a legal right to take him to court to pursue the repayment. If not, she can still pursue court action, but it would be a matter of word against word and whom the judge decided to believe should your ex choose to deny it being a "loan" and claim it was a "gift" with no expectation of repayment. As to you assisting your mother with the repayment by transferring the balance to yourself - that is an arrangement between you and your mother and not him....so you would have a harder time pursuing it and likely would end up spending more in court costs than you would have a chance of recovering. If you want to make your point then drag his butt to court - but don't expect much satisfaction....that is why it is a rule to ALWAYS put money matters in writing even/especially between family members (even ex family members) and if nothing else at least you will come away from this with a lesson learned (not likely to get much else...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">