• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

belongings not being returned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lrob238830

I moved out with my kids to another state. I was planning on getting a divorce. The husband talked me in to bringing the kids home for Thanksgiving since I had not retained temporary custody I went with and left my things in my apartment and left a friend/lover with the key to my apartment. he rented it for me in the beginning. The husband talked me in to staying to work things out. my things are now in the possession of my friend and he is not cooperating in getting them back to us. Can he sell them as he threatens to? how do I make sure he keeps them safe til we can get up there to get them or get him to send them to us w/out sending h im money and trusting him to send them?

LegalBeagle

Lrob238830 said:
I moved out with my kids to another state. I was planning on getting a divorce. The husband talked me in to bringing the kids home for Thanksgiving since I had not retained temporary custody I went with and left my things in my apartment and left a friend/lover with the key to my apartment. he rented it for me in the beginning. The husband talked me in to staying to work things out. my things are now in the possession of my friend and he is not cooperating in getting them back to us. Can he sell them as he threatens to? how do I make sure he keeps them safe til we can get up there to get them or get him to send them to us w/out sending h im money and trusting him to send them?
You have lost me now.. you left because of the DV but returned ?? are you still back with your husband ?

L

Lrob238830

yes I left because of the domestic violence but he talked me in to coming back for the kids to have Thanksgiving with his mom...lied to me actually saying she was sick and dying. I had not gotten temporary custody yet so I had to return with them and he scared me in to staying. I so wanted to go back but he threatened me.

LegalBeagle

Lrob238830 said:
yes I left because of the domestic violence but he talked me in to coming back for the kids to have Thanksgiving with his mom...lied to me actually saying she was sick and dying. I had not gotten temporary custody yet so I had to return with them and he scared me in to staying. I so wanted to go back but he threatened me.
I am sorry, I can not help you anymore.. you need to seek help from a womens shelter and make that first move to get out and stay out. You had the ideal opportunity in that you did leave and even had somewhere setup to stay. Going back has thrown that work out..

L

Lrob238830

I cant find your reply. yes I'm back w/husband he lied to me and said kids needed to see their grandma cause she was dying. I didnt have temporary custody. what about my things..?

L

Lrob238830

please tell me what I can do to get my things back? he has them and isnt willing to cooperate to get them back to me. I need to know what I can do.

T

Tigres

Lrob238830 said:
please tell me what I can do to get my things back? he has them and isnt willing to cooperate to get them back to me. I need to know what I can do.
You want your things back?

Gather what you brought with you BACK to your abusive, deceitful spouse. Shouldn't be too much since you left your stuff behind? If hubby even hints at a threat, call the police to assist you in removing yourself from the home.

Gather your children.

GO BACK To where your things are.

Tell your 'sweetie' that you would not mind working things out(I'm assuming this, since you were with him until you went back to your spouse.), but it is a matter of trust. Explain that he abused that trust by betraying your affair to your ex. Explain that as long as he keeps your 'STUFF' hostage, you will not even consider becoming involved with him in the slightest.

As long as he keeps your stuff hostage, do not even consider becoming involved with him in the slightest.

Then, if he does not turn your 'STUFF' over, take him to small claims court.

If you have to take him to small claims court, do not even consider becoming involved with him in the slightest.

Oh, and somewhere in there, secure at least temporary custody of your kids.

DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR EX EXCEPT TO DOCUMENT HIS LIES TO YOU. That way, next time he tells you that he has cancer or what a horrid person you are, you can refer back to his long list and explain to him EXACTLY why you can not believe him now. Save this list until the kids are grown, alimony is over and child support will be long gone.

C'mon dear. You were stong enough to leave him the first time. Ok, so you took a step back. Now take 2 forward.

Tig

http://smilecwm.tripod.com/fk/redhair.gif

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">