• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discovered neighbor's shed is on MY side!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whr76

What is the name of your state? MA
--------------
Update: Found via survey for other work that neighbor's 8x12 shed built in 1994 is totally on my side...error was due to both my Mom (now gone) and him not realizing exactly where line was back then, since it's at back side/end of a long narrow piece of property, which abuts his back yard.
I don't mind having it there as it's well kept and neighbor is nice and helpful...but we need to do something to make it "legal"...so, I thought...maybe I could lease him (40+yrs) the shed area and a few feet around it for nominal fee ($1 a yr) as money is not my concern...I don't want any semi-permanent arrangement as an easement would do as I understand it...any thoughts?

--------------
2nd attempt at original post:
I'm :mad: :mad: ! I just spent 20 min typing in my first post here, hit submit and it said i wasn't logged it! But I WAS when I began typing! @#$*&! So now, I'm going to post this and then either edit it a piece at a time or reply back to it so I won't loose all my post again!

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Just have your attorney draft an agreement allowing the neighbor to house the shed on your property until such time as he sells the home. At that time, the shed is to be moved to his land at his expense, or ownership is to be conveyed to you.

whr76

THANKS for the input!
A follow-up query: Given that shed is 40+ ft from my cottage and hidden by woods, he also stores firewood by shed...I have no issues with that either...how would that be addressed? That's why I was sorta thinking of leasing the 15x60 ft or so area to him, if that's possible...
And what about liability?
Should he injure himself or a friend in/near shed, am I on the hook, given that it's actually on my land?

BelizeBreeze

whr76 said:
THANKS for the input!
A follow-up query: Given that shed is 40+ ft from my cottage and hidden by woods, he also stores firewood by shed...I have no issues with that either...how would that be addressed? That's why I was sorta thinking of leasing the 15x60 ft or so area to him, if that's possible...
And what about liability?
Should he injure himself or a friend in/near shed, am I on the hook, given that it's actually on my land?
If you lease the land to him and he or another get's hurt, you could be in financial hurt.

Tell the neighbor that you want to work out something mutually beneficial but have to also protect yourself and your assets. So, if he wishes not to have to move the shed, he should pay to have an agreement drawn up by a local attorney which protects both of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">